Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: coil spring compressor

One question you might be able to help with Scott or anyone, do you know a good supplier of inexpensive air fittings? Everything local and mcmaster are pretty expensive, anywhere from 3-8 dollars a peice.

I've looked at push lock fittings and all sorts of others which are nice but to pricey for me! Would like to find something simple and inexpensive since I'm going to be using alot of fittings for a couple of projects and they will add up fast. Also need to figure out which hose to use, can buy it by the foot threw mcmaster or just buy a cheap hose from home depot and cut it up.

Thanks for any help on this, Scott

Got a little progress on the compressor today. Was hoping to get more done but had to grout some tile and do some other stuff around the house so didn't get as much done as I would have liked. Guess there's always tomorrow!

I got the new 4" bore cylinder all mounted up and played around with it for a little bit. This thing is really powerful and don't think it will have any problem compressing springs. I still need to run some braces to support the uprights so they don't buckle under the pressure while compressing a spring. Will try to get that done tomorrow. After that the frame will be done and then just need to make the arms for it. I have everything to make the hinge part of the arms that allow them to adjust where they meet the frame. I have most of the details worked out that allow them to adjust up and down so they put even pressure on the spring even though the spring is at different heights on each side due to how it spirals. Hopefully that made sense! I have the knobs and threaded rod and some other parts to make it work, but still need to figure out what metal I need and get it. Probably just two sections of square tubing that will slide inside of each other. And then I still need to find some air fittings and hose from somewhere. The cylinder came with two fittings that are the locking type where you just push the plastic hose inside of them and it locks on. So I need to figure out which hose to use and a place to get it at a decent price and then pick up a couple fittings for the valve. After that it's just paint and then it's good to go!

Here are some pics, nothing major but it shows the new cylinder mounted and the sled in the up position and down position.

Attachment 696

Attachment 697

Attachment 698

Attachment 699

Now it's time to grill some salmon and have a few beverages and then get a fresh start in the morning!

Looks sweet. Can't wait to see it in action.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Thanks Glenn. Now all I need is a shop like yours to put all this stuff since you can see by the pictures my garage is kinda overfull!!!

If I took a picture today you would sh!t at the amount of crap I have in there. I think you have more work space than me. LOL! Mine is currently a storage warehouse.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

I just consider mine storage also. To do anything I have to take the tile saw, paint drying rack, planer, table saw miter saw and a bunch of other things out depending on how much room I need. Not that fun to work on things. I've got most of my stuff on wheels so I can pull it out easy. My problem is I do a lot of construction and totally remodeling the house so I have almost every construction related tool. Then I also am into wood working so I have most of the big tools for that. And then my metal tools. And also do most of my own work on cars so have a lot of mechanics tools also! I can't really add on to the garage so I almost bought an 8x24' trailer this summer just to store tools but ended up spending the money for that on some tools I "needed" instead. And now winter is coming so I won't be able to just pull stuff outside anymore. I really need to take sometime to just clean the garage and see if I can get some more room. I've been on the lookout for a lathe also but don't know where that would go!

You still need fittings?

Lemme know what you need - I can likely hook you up. You pay shipping.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Thanks for the offer Scott. I can get the fittings from mcmaster or somewhere but just wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get fittings and hose cheaper. Seems like mcmaster prices are a little high on some things and just trying to find somewhere to order fittings at a decent price. Kinda a bummer when you have to spend 50 bucks on hose and fittings to hook up a cylinder and valve!

Also not sure which system I'm going to go with. Seems like the push fittings that lock the air hose in them are pretty nice but a little pricey. Also seems like since the hose goes inside the fitting that you would have to use a pretty small ID hose compared to a barbed fitting that the hose slids over? I'll either just get the push lock fittings or just get some barbed fittings and use hose clamps and go buy a 50 foot air hose to chop up.

For this, I would use maybe 3/8" or 1/2" plastic, pushlock tubing. Or you could use 3/8" hose, hose barbs and clamps.

The pushlock stuff is good stuff, easy to work with and very common.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Ya those push lock are nice to work with. Guess I'll just bit the bullet and buy the fittings I need from mcmaster. Do you know know what kind of hose they accept? I've been looking on mcmaster but can't seem to find which hose to use.