Welding an Airtank

Well, somehow I managed to poke a hole in my contractor compressor tank. This is one of those twin tank jobs. The hole is about the size of a match head.

I was just planning to MIG it up - any issues with doing such? I think the max pressure this thing gets up to is 120 psi or so.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Re: Welding an Airtank

I'd go ahead and try it. A quality weld on an empty tank should work fine.
    Bruce

A craftsman is someone who does a better job than anyone thinks is necessary.

www.4x4mecca.com
    http://www.tbucketeers.com/

Yup. I concur. Drain it, clean it, weld it.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
    Well, somehow I managed to poke a hole in my contractor compressor tank. This is one of those twin tank jobs. The hole is about the size of a match head.

I was just planning to MIG it up - any issues with doing such? I think the max pressure this thing gets up to is 120 psi or so.
    When I repalced the air suspension system on the Range Rover, I added a larger air tank. The new air tank didn't have a provision for a drain plug, so I MIG'd in a female NPT fixture and 4 years later, it's been flawless at 125 psi. Take your time and make sure you have good penetration and you shouldn't have any problems.

Yeah that's a simple fix.Your weldment will be thicker and stronger than the surrounding material anyways.I have just stick welded some air tanks without much prep and they are still holding.Biggest problem is rot from the inside on the bottom were people never drain the water out.