Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solidworks 2008-09

Hi all - (yes I'm still above ground, sorry for the absence)

I've been taking some classes and was able to score a copy of Solidworks student edition for $80. It's supposed to be a full version that works for 24 months. I've been dabbling with it and am enjoying learning it thoroughly.

Anyone else use Solidworks?
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Re: Solidworks 2008-09

I have the full blown version for MXtras but have been using Inventor for the past year.

The two are so close it's tough to bounce back and forth. Since I run Inventor at work (Mitsubishi), it's my program of choice now. They are both very powerful.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Talking Re: Solidworks 2008-09

My son is studying mechanical engineering and took an intro class last semester using a study manual [Engineering design with Solidworks 2007, available on Amazon], and just bought the 2008/2009 student edition also (I had to buy a new laptop to run it on, but all is good!). He's been drawing up all sort of cool stuff to build: new welding cart for combination Lincoln 225 tig and 175 pro-mig (basic pieces already fabbed, but not assembled), new exhaust tip for Yamaha 250 super-moto (currently being machined), 32 spline shifter knob concept, optima battery hold-down, to name a few. I'm an old Autocad 2d guy, just learning to drawing in 3d. Cool stuff !!!

Welcome to the site, Jeepcrawler56!

Please don't be shy - post some of your work!

Scott

Im Jeepcrawlers son... Here are a few things i have drawn so far...

heres the welding cart... the water cooler goes on the bottom, then the precision tig 255 on the middle level, and then the 175 on top along with a toolbox, then two tanks sit on the back

heres a carrier i designed to hold our plasma cutter... the holes on the bottom and on the side are supposed to be flared but i dont know how to draw them yet... also dont mind all the little blue lines, those are just the temporary axis' for all the bends and holes

a 32 spline shifter knob i drew to resemble the splines on an axle shaft...

a center cap i drew up...

and an old willys flat fender kit i drew up... havent finished it yet but i figured id post it up... already have all the metal bent and cut, eventually will be put on my 94 Jeep YJ...

o by the way... SWEET FORUM!!!

NICE WORK! How long did it take you to learn to create what you've shown above?
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Im a mechanical engineering major and i took a intro to CAD class that was half a semester, and the class was only one hour twice a week, and i probably spent twice that out of class working on the assignments.

The welding cart took me the longest, probably about an hour or so, i had to keep going downstairs and measuring the pieces that we have already made, but other than that it wasnt too bad. I made it out of 8 separate parts and then put them all in an assembly.

The carrier took me maybe a half an hour, and those are also separate pieces. This, the welding cart, and the fender took me the longest, the center cap i used basic measurements from an existing cap and the shift knob was all guesstimations.

But if you are new to solidworks i would definitely do some of the tutorials, and even consider getting the book that i used in my class (Engineering design with Solidworks 2007, available on Amazon (they do make a new 2008 version but i think they are the same)), cause not only does it teach you how to draw, but it tells you how to make templates for drawings, and is very helpful. Still being new to solidworks, i find myself going back to the book quite a bit if i have a problem.

Ryan

Very nice work, Ryan.

Scott

Drew this up today... a welding table that has two different heights to choose from just by changing some pins, one so you can sit and weld, and the other for standing... it also folds up for easy storage...

Ryan

I finally figured out how to draw flared holes... i dont have the die set in front of me so i just guessed on the dimensions of how it would actually flare the metal...

Ryan