Thread: Hobart Handler

Hobart Handler

Hey guys,

I haven't been on for quite a while. It's been a crazy summer. Nice to be back and a little less busy working so I can maybe get back to some my projects.

Well I've finally had it with my old POS Craftsman 110, Crack Model A (Nickname) MIG. It's got to the point that you can't even expect it to break consistently let alone weld consistently. Not to mention that it struggles with anything thicker than sheet metal.

I've been eying the relatively new Hobart Handler 187. From what I've read, it seems to be the best bang for the buck. My max budget right now is around $600 and Tractor Supply Co has one in stock near me for $599.99. I may have to wait till after X-Mass so I'm not in a huge rush.

Has anyone had any experience with this welder? I'm far from a pro but I don't want to out grow it in a year either.

On another note: How the hell can different stores vary SO MUCH in price? This welder is a perfect example. TSC has it for $599.99. My local, privately owned, Hardware/Building Supply store has the same one for......get this.....$869! I know he doesn't have the buying power of the big boys but that isn't even close to competitive.

Anyway, thanks for any advice or feedback you may have.
    In my family, goodness is just badness that hasn't had a drink yet. -Christopher Titus

Re: Hobart Handler

If I have said it once I have said it a 1,000 times the HH187 is tops in the 180 amp MIG class..... I personally have the HH210 as I wanted the SG well and also I wanted the new big boy toy .... the HH187 is a great machine on both ends as well as the middle... it has a very similar low side arc as the HH140 and has enough ass the handle 1/4" steel with no problems...... for a $600 budget it gets my vote every time.....keep any eye on toolking.com as they have the handlers in stock some times for less $ http://www.toolking.com/category/too...d-welders.aspx

Thank you very much for the input. I was hoping to hear from someone that owned a Hobart. A guy at work keeps steering me toward a Millermatic but it is around a $200+ jump for what appears to be pretty much the same machine, at least in terms of its specifications.

I have to look at a welder they are surplussing at work today. I may be able to get it for short money but it may be bigger than I need or even want. I'll no more this afternoon. I'll post with questions on that one later on.

Thanks again.
    In my family, goodness is just badness that hasn't had a drink yet. -Christopher Titus

I bought the HH 135 a few years back and have always had wire feed problems with it. I replaced the liner and the fitting in the gun and tip. All brand new and it would not feed. I adjusted the tension up/down/ and sideways and it will feed a inch or two an stop, and inch or two and stop. I will never buy another Hobart product. I emailed their support and I got the "adjust tension or replace liner". I did this to no avail. The HH135 sits in a corner now and the Miller never lets me down.

No experience with the Hobart (good reputation and a good brand) but I bought my Millermatic 175 a few years ago from Indiana Oxygen Co on ebay. Even with shipping, it was less than I could have bought it for locally. It was way more than I needed at the time, but I have grown into it as my skills have improved, and it has been a wise investment over buying a smaller unit that I would have outgrown quickly. Gauge what you need now against what you anticipate your future needs may be. The Miller was a big purchase for my budget as I tend to like heavy duty commercial grade stuff, so it forces me to hunt down bargains on used stuff. No reason you couldn't find a good deal on a lightly used one or a demo model if you ask around. Lots of garages going out of business, so there is a glut of good tools on the market right now.

X 2 for Indiana Oxygen. That's where I got my MM210.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks