Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: New Home Construction - the do's and don'ts thread

Quote Originally Posted by BoostAddiction View Post
    The idea was both...we were going to have two anyway, one for each floor, but running them in series means that we never run out of hot water even when we fill the jet tub, and each one works less hard in that the the temp delta is smaller than it would be for heating cold water to 140 or so, so we think we are saving energy as well (compared to the alternative of two standalone heaters, each dedicated to one floor).
    Do they need to be the same size? The reason I ask is that I have two now, each dedicated to certain areas of the house. I can't recall the sizes off the top of my head, but one is larger for sure. (They are both reasonably new) Is there a rule of thumb as to which should be at the front or rear of the series?
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

I don't think they have to be the same size.

You probably should think about recovery time, etc when planning, but what is the worst case? Even if the first one is "too small" it still helps the second one by pre-heating the water so each has less work to do.

FWIW, ours are the same size. But I can't think of a reason they would have to be.

-Will

I'm planning to build in about 2 1/2 years. I've already bought the land, with a well and septic tank and I have to use propane. So my question is instead of having to water heaters that will have to run periodically, to keep the water hot, why not use a tankless water heater?
    Bruce

A craftsman is someone who does a better job than anyone thinks is necessary.

www.4x4mecca.com
    http://www.tbucketeers.com/

My neighbor owns his own, independent HVAC operation. He does a lot of boilers, steam systems and other odd crap in commercial applications and does a fair amount of high end residential.

He is pushing me to consider the tankless route but I have yet to actually put my eyes on one. I trust this guy like a brother, so if he says "this is the way you should go" I probably will, but I have to do more research. Luckily - time is on my side for a change.

Other comments about going tankless?? What's the skinny? Pros/Cons? Cost to purchase, etc, etc...?? I would like to see someone put together a real world comparison to ponder.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

A nice, online resource for construction calculators can be found here:

http://www.blocklayer.com/

This site has calculators for concrete volume, stair rise and run, roof pitch and framing dimensions - all kinds of stuff. Very helpful for construction and for planning in my opinion.

Scott

also in the same planning process...can't find anything worth the ridiculous asking prices (poor quality, even poorer layouts and worse energy efficiency), so I'm considering building. As for the single or two-story debate, yes, much less costly to have a 2-story. Also, corners cost money. The fewer corners in the design, the less you can spend on foundations and wall framing. My plan is the first level to be a "clean" garage with radiant slab, which will provide some ancillary heat to the living quarters above. Nothing too large: 36x42ish, which gives me an extra large 3 car, and with a raised ceiling height, 2 storage lifts gets 5 of my cars under cover. The shop area would be an adjoining 36x42 space where all the work would happen, and a dual post lift, which would provide ample shop space and project car parking. An area between both spaces would provide staircase to living quarters, a foyer area and a small man-space with 3/4 bath (shower/commode/urinal) and a small office (10x12'). Surprisingly, the spousal unit actually likes the idea. The biggest issues with this design are of course FIRE, so fire suppression systems need to be included, as well as fireproofing between garage and living space. The shop area will not be under the living quarters, so it should help isolate some of the noise.

For energy efficiency topics, this site has been very helpful: www.ourcoolhouse.com

Marc

That sounds like a plan!

Scott

Back on the front burner, but just simmering at this time.

We are back to the push on relocating. I have several projects I have to finish up before I can get back to selling my current home, but it's back on the radar. The market seems to be fairly stable and the current home is not in the upper price ranges, so it should sell in a reasonable time frame.

Back on track, but not up to speed yet...

Scott

Scott, anything new yet? I'm planning on a build next year as I'm retiring this year due to health reasons. I have a lead on a fixer trailer to stay in while I build a house.
    Bruce

A craftsman is someone who does a better job than anyone thinks is necessary.

www.4x4mecca.com
    http://www.tbucketeers.com/

This is quite a challenge. Lots of things I have never experienced before, so I have a lot of research.

I have found 25 wooded acres. Undeveloped.

I have looked into modular homes. Going price seems to be around $60/sqft. Stick built can be as low as $90/sqft on up to whatever you want to spend - lots and lots of variables.

I have contacted a log home company - I want to look into pricing for a log home, too.

Perc tests to see if the soil will handle septic systems - $300 for simple, $1000 for extensive. No price on a system yet. Lots of education remains....

Asphalt = $3-$5/sqft. Spring for the sealer and keep the surface sealed - every three to four years. Use the good sealer, too. Pack the base very well, let it settle and then re-pack it. A firm, stable base is absolute must. Still researching...

I have a lot of things to look into. I designed the floorplan of the house I want and I spent a LOT of time considering everything from noise to ventilation as well as orientation on the property (sun, prevailing winds, angle of storm attack). I will post the layout when I finalize it. The modular people can build my design (with minor changes)as a modular for a relatively small fee - very, very attractive.

I am still a little ways off from making any firm decisions at this point. I am trying to clean off my plate so that I can focus on this undertaking. I need 12 more hours per day - then I would be set.

Scott