Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    vfd...more 'in depth' plz

    ok... I just purchased a bridgeport mill and an APA TOR Lathe. The mill is a 1hp and the lathe is 5hp, both are 3 phase. From what i've read, the best option to run these animals on single phase power in a home garage is with a VFD. So my questions are these:
    Will any 3ph motor run off a VFD (both are quite old) without damage to the motor?
    What 'exactly' do I need to hook it up...220 from the panel to VFD then from the VFD to the mill or lathe with original large diameter cable? Anything else needed to complete installation?
    What would you say is the best bang for my buck VFD... don't want to spend a fortune on features i won't need? Something inexpensive but fits the use.
    I'm sure I'll come up with more questions but this is what i'm thinking right now. Would like to get them usable soon

  2. #2
    Contributing Member MXtras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in Virginia
    Posts
    891

    Re: vfd...more 'in depth' plz

    Quote Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
    Will any 3ph motor run off a VFD (both are quite old) without damage to the motor?
    Yes. There are limitations to using a VFD but the benefits are sweet - especially on a lathe.

    I have recently (yesterday morning!) been involved with correcting parameter problems with VFD for a 500HP AC motor and I have heard of VFDs used to control electric motors up to 8,000HP. Yes - an 8,000HP electric motor. Wow. I did not even know they made motors that big until recently.

    Quote Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
    What 'exactly' do I need to hook it up...220 from the panel to VFD then from the VFD to the mill or lathe with original large diameter cable?
    Exactly. It's wise to make the cable between the motor and the drive (VFD) relatively short. A 165' run might create issues. Keep the cable length to a reasonable length - say under 50'. Mount the VFD in a clean, well ventilated area away from PCs and monitors. I mounted my mill VFD on a bracket on the left side of the head. There are photos of it somewhere around here, I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
    Anything else needed to complete installation?
    About an hour of your time to do the installation and maybe three hours of reading the manual, figuring out the parameters - if you choose. Most of the time, they come pretty much set up to run right out of the box. It's a piece of cake, really. Playing with the parameters is actually quite fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
    What would you say is the best bang for my buck VFD... don't want to spend a fortune on features i won't need?
    Check out these sites for pricing and more info:
    http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drive...FQMsFQodS1A3Nw
    http://web1.automationdirect.com/adc...alog/AC_Drives

    Let us know if you need a hand picking one out. Make sure the input is single phase! Quite a few are 3phase in and out.

    Quote Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
    I'm sure I'll come up with more questions but this is what i'm thinking right now. Would like to get them usable soon
    I can help as can several others here.



    Scott
    Last edited by MXtras; 01-25-2008 at 02:43 AM.
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

  3. #3

    Re: vfd...more 'in depth' plz

    Thanx for replying so quickly.
    I checked out the sites u suggested plus a few more i found in this forum and found 2 units i might purchase. Since I live in Canada getting both from one distributor at the same time reduces the 'on top of' charges for getting them across the border (brokerage fee's and shipping mostly). Anyways here is what i'm looking at from www.industriallive.com
    a 5hp AC Tech Lenze #sm250 for 291.57 and
    a 1hp TECO JNEV-201-H1 for 162.69
    What do you think? I like the Hitachi stuff but I was looking for package buying. The automation direct had a sweet deal on the 1hp (GS1-2PO for 125.00) but no 5hp.
    I wanted the built in potentiometer for the mill and will prolly set the lathes speed once and use its gearing to adjust it, so a dial on the unit is not as important. If i need a little tweak in the rpm i guess i could add an external 'pot'.
    Does the VFD eliminate the mills current 3 position switch (Fwd/off/Rev)?
    If so, How easy is it to go from forward to reverse?

    Thanx again

  4. #4
    Contributing Member MXtras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in Virginia
    Posts
    891

    Re: vfd...more 'in depth' plz

    I used one of those AC TECH VFDs for a conveyor last year.

    Yes - the FWD, Off, REV would be accommodated through either the control on the VFD or through remote switches. The three way switch on the motor would be bypassed. It's really simple to hook up - it's simply a contact closure (switch) between two terminals on the VFD for FWD and a different terminal for REV. You can use any switch - a three position rotary would be the easiest but you can use latching push buttons, too. I would have to see the manual to tell you which terms to use, but it's usually pretty clearly spelled out in the manual.

    The external speed pot is a piece of cake, too. Your manual will tell you what the max resistance of the pot should be and from there, it's a matter of connecting it to two terminals and then changing a parameter to allow for remote control. That's pretty much as complex as it gets.

    (I added this link for future reference - http://www.industriallive.com/AC-Tech-SM250-p/sm250.htm)

    Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

  5. #5

    Re: vfd...more 'in depth' plz

    Quote Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
    ok... I just purchased a bridgeport mill and an APA TOR Lathe. The mill is a 1hp and the lathe is 5hp, both are 3 phase. From what i've read, the best option to run these animals on single phase power in a home garage is with a VFD. So my questions are these:
    Will any 3ph motor run off a VFD (both are quite old) without damage to the motor?
    What 'exactly' do I need to hook it up...220 from the panel to VFD then from the VFD to the mill or lathe with original large diameter cable? Anything else needed to complete installation?
    What would you say is the best bang for my buck VFD... don't want to spend a fortune on features i won't need? Something inexpensive but fits the use.
    I'm sure I'll come up with more questions but this is what i'm thinking right now. Would like to get them usable soon
    Almost any VFD can take single phase power, you just have to essentially double the HP of the motor to get what size of drive you need if the drive isn't rated for single phase. I would be more worried about damaging the VFD's diodes than anything. VFDs.com has factory reconditioned, surplus and demo drives which you can get a great deal on. Here's their URL. http://www.vfds.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •