welding thin metals question

Hi guys, i am experimenting with different welds, as in metal thickness.
    The thicker metal is no problem, but my question is when you weld the thin metal, do you only spot weld and fill in between so you don't burn through and don't warp the metal. Is that how it's done?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Bob.

Re: welding thin metals question

For the thinner stuff, bump the heat UP (yes, up) like you would for tacking and basically tack the entire thing together to form a constant bead. Bump the trigger on and off, advancing just enough each time to cover to about the center of the previous tack. Does that make sense?

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I should note that you do not need to wait long inbetween trigger pulls - maybe a second or less. Just long enough to allow the spot to cool a bit. If you see it is starting to blow out, increase the dwell.

This method requires each spot weld to be good and hot. If you try this method with settings that would almost allow you to run a bead on the thinner metal you will not have adequate penetration. Use higher heat and adjust either your 'on' time, your dwell time or some combination of both.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by MXtras View Post
    For the thinner stuff, bump the heat UP (yes, up) like you would for tacking and basically tack the entire thing together to form a constant bead. Bump the trigger on and off, advancing just enough each time to cover to about the center of the previous tack. Does that make sense?

Scott
    Presuming this is for bodywork.
    What I do is tack it every couple of inches, then let it cool. Then tack between the tacks. Repeat till its welded solid. This should keep the warpage to a minimum.
    Bruce

A craftsman is someone who does a better job than anyone thinks is necessary.

www.4x4mecca.com
    http://www.tbucketeers.com/

Thank you very much. It answers my question. I noticed when i first tried to weld it, it was beading up. So i tried a bit more heat and then it melted into the metal to make a nice spot weld. I just thought i'd better ask the pros here first to make sure.
    I have no scrap metal to practice on, so you should see my old jack stand..LOL
    It has washers, bolts and just weld beads welded on it. But made for good practice.
    I must say tho, the beads look pretty darn good for a beginner. I have welded with a stick welder many years ago, but with a mig it's a bit different. I sure enjoy it. One difficult thing i have noticed is trying to stay nice and straight, but it'll come with experience.
    I'm having fun with it, all a learning experience.
    Thank you so much for the help.
    Bob.

I did it exactly how VegasBruce explained and it worked well. However, I figured it out the hard way. Lets just say the first panel I did was also my second.
    In my family, goodness is just badness that hasn't had a drink yet. -Christopher Titus