moulding and nailers

One project I have for this fall/winter is to put a chair rail and crown moulding in our dining room. We have oak trim in the house for baseboard, around doors etc. and I'll use oak here to match.

I got a Home Depot gift card for my birthday and was planning to use that on a nailer. Question 1: Brad or finish nailer?

We have a decent size window in the dining room and I'd like to trim that out at the same time. Currently there's just a white pine window sill and some white trim below that. I'd want to replace that with oak if everything else will be oak. Question 2: Is the sill just a trim piece in itself, or do I risk screwing something up with the window if I yank that out?

Thanks in advance for help with the noob questions...

Re: moulding and nailers

1. Angle Finish Nailer - Generally these use angled strips of 2 1/2" finish nails. Remember you are going through the trim and drywall, so a longer nail is needed.
    2. The sill "should" come out on it's own. Watch for where the builder may have toe nailed through the vertical trim board into the sill. Easiest way to make sure it will come out reasonably easy is to take one of those close quarters saws that use a hack saw blade and go between the vertical and the sill.

Also pull the apron (if installed) from under the sill first and cut through any nails that might exist through the sill into the framing around the window.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

^^ What he said!

Well that was easy. LOL!
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Thanks guys. One more question - how important is nail capacity? For the amount of work I'll do with this, it probably won't mean much to me. Here's the reason I ask - Home Depot has angle finish nailers (bostich and PC) in the $169-$179 range. those have a capcaity around 100-130. I can order one from Grizzly for alot less, about $109 - but the capacity is 40 nails.

Here's my story on a nailer for moulding. The wife and I were updating the living room and kitchen with new paint and new molding (the original stuff was cut by a preschooler) and I bought a nice compound miter saw and planned on finish nailing it by hand. HUGE mistake. The "bright finish nails" might as well have been rolled in coal. I couldn't keep from getting finger prints everywhere. We looked at a nailer a while back but I don't have a compressor.

The wife swung by Home Depot and saw that they had a Husky brad nailer and compressor set for $65 and picked it up. It uses 1 1/4" nails or staples and works great! Talk about a time and head ache saver.

Here's my answer to TDiddy about nail capacity. With my set up I have to refill the tank after about 20 nails, so the difference between 100 and 40 nails is moot. Just having a nailer is the important thing

Erich

Capacity isn't a big deal IMO. If you are doing a lot of work, it might become a PITA to be refilling all the time, but for a $60 to $70 savings, you can probably endure some of that. My Porter Cable takes two strips - not sure how many that is, but it suits me just fine. Unless you are renovating your entire house like I am, I'd think the less capacity would be fine. I have a lot of money tied up in tools that I bought for one job that have been sitting ever since - I'm a junkie with this stuff, so that's OK.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks