Tap and Die Types

I know there are a number of different taps and dies available depending on intended use. I know I'm a bit sketchy on these various types so I dug into this a bit:

TAPS

* Bottoming Tap: The tap illustrated in the top of the image has a continuous cutting edge with no taper. This feature enables a bottoming tap to cut threads to the bottom of a blind hole. A bottoming tap is never used to cut threads in an unthreaded hole, as the cutting edges lack the taper required to successfully start into such a hole.

* Plug Tap: Also known as an intermediate tap (US only - In Australia and Britain, the Bottoming tap is the Plug), the tap illustrated in the middle of the image has tapered cutting edges, which assist in aligning and starting the tap into an untapped hole. Plug taps are the most commonly used type of tap.

* Taper Tap: The small tap illustrated at the bottom of the image is similar to a plug tap but has a more pronounced taper to the cutting edges. This feature gives the taper tap a very gradual cutting action that is less aggressive than that of the plug tap. A taper tap is most often used when the material to be tapped is difficult to work (e.g., alloy steel) or the tap is of a very small diameter and thus prone to breakage.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Re: Tap and Die Types

DIES

The die cuts a thread on a preformed cylindrical rod, which creates a male threaded piece which functions like a bolt. The dies shown are

* top left: an older split die, with top adjusting screw
    * bottom left: a one piece die with top adjusting screw
    * center: a one piece die with side adjusting screw (barely visible on the full image)
    * right: two dies without adjusting screws

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Reserved for future use.

Reserved for future use 2

Reserved for future comment #1.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by MXtras View Post
    Reserved for future comment #1.

Scott
    I know you know a lot on this subject!! Glad to see you'll be chiming in!! (The reason this came about today is that I needed to buy a die for cleaning powdercoat off a bunch of bolt threads and was doing some digging)

I thought you had outlined some of this stuff before on here, but I couldn't find it.

It's amazing how much stuff I recall doing but can not locate...... This age thing really sucks!

I will pitch in when I see it fit - you are doing fine on your own!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done