Home Made sheet metal brake

Here is my sheet metal brake I put together. I have to make a small water tank for someone’s wood stove that holds water for steam or something like that. The original one was all pitted (alum) and he wanted to see if I could just weld up the million little holes. I was like no way you need a tank. So I made this brake in an afternoon. I got the drawing from some the major league dunning site. Pretty primitive but it works. It will also do 1/4” thick strap for making brackets and such. I beefed up the holding mechanism a little different than what the drawings have. Cost me about 10 bucks in scrap and about 2 hours or so. If you people want more pics I need to take some more of the brake.

T.J.

Re: Home Made sheet metal brake

TJ, i don't know about anybody else, but some pics would be great.
    Just bought a HH187 so am looking to fab some projects.
    I was looking at making a break also. It don't have to be fancy, as long as it works. Hope to see some pics real soon.
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by 67 canso s/d View Post
    TJ, i don't know about anybody else, but some pics would be great.
    Just bought a HH187 so am looking to fab some projects.
    I was looking at making a break also. It don't have to be fancy, as long as it works. Hope to see some pics real soon.
    Bob.
    Ok I will get some pics as soon as I can.

T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

Here you go.
    T.J.

That's cool, I need to make something like that! Can you post the link to where you got the plans?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the link - http://www.majorleagueduning.com/tech/Brake/Brake.htm

What thickness is that plate in the first post?

EDIT 2: That flat piece that runs across the top (the clamping part)... is it just set on top of that angle iron or did you weld them together?
    Last edited by garrett1478; 03-05-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett1478 View Post
    That's cool, I need to make something like that! Can you post the link to where you got the plans?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the link - http://www.majorleagueduning.com/tech/Brake/Brake.htm

What thickness is that plate in the first post?

EDIT 2: That flat piece that runs across the top (the clamping part)... is it just set on top of that angle iron or did you weld them together?
    It is .100 5052 alum. The flat plate is welded to the angle for more stiffness.
    It will bend 1/4" strap as well.
    Thanks.
    T.J.

Very nice, looks kinda familiar....

I need to change my clamp. The way I built mine, it keeps me from going past 90コ which is bad if the material has much spring back.

Edit, I just saw that this thread isn't a couple months old, but rather 1 year and a couple months. Didn't mean to drag up the dead....
    Last edited by Jeonlyep; 05-10-2008 at 02:58 AM.

ANY posts are welcome. "Dragging up the dead" is a good thing.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

A press brake, also known as plate bending machine, is a kind of machine tool for bending sheet and plate material, most commonly sheet metal, material could be normal steel, stainless steel, aluminum and so on. Regularly, two C-frames form the sides of the press brake, connected to a table at the bottom and on a moveable slide at the top. The bottom tool is mounted on the table with the top tool mounted on the upper beam.

A Press brake could be described and distinguished by basic specifications, such as the force or tonnage and the working length (length of plate sheet). Additional parameters include the amplitude or stroke, the distance between the frame uprights or side housings, distance to the back gauge, and work height. The upper slide usually operates at a speed ranging from 1 to 15 mm/sec.

There are many different types of press brake as described by the means of applying force: mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and servo-electric. Hydraulic press brake operates by means of two synchronized hydraulic cylinders on the C-frames moving the upper slide. Servo-electric brakes use a servo-motor to drive a ball screw to exert tonnage on the ram.

SUZOU DAFU MACHINE TOOLS CO.,LTD., is a professional manufacturer of hydraulic press brake and servo-electric press brake. Established in 2003, Suzhou Dafu Machine tools have been engaged indesigning, building and selling hydraulic press brake, CNC hydraulic press brake, guillotines shear and CNC guillotine shear for many years. Thanks to full attention upon press brake and guillotine shear building, and the great investment in metal processing equipments. Dafu had made agood start in the industry of press brake and guillotine shear after our products hit market.
    In 2007, due to reliable quality of press brake and guillotine shear we built and sold, Dafu had gained remarkable reputation in Chinese market and Dafu’s share in the market had been kept increasing year by year, at the same period, Dafu started to pay more attention upon oversea market and seek sales increase from global market. In order to pursue quality of machines and service, our boss decided to expand production capacity, and extended workshop buildings 15,000 square meters more, plus original 15,000 square meters workshop, totally 30,000 square meters in total.