Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

i want to buy a 110 mig welder, please give me feedback

what i need the welder for is welding panels and patch panels on my car. i would like to know if they are good enough for the job. or just how good they are in general. i hear so many stories that i don't know what to believe anymore.
    any feedback will be very much appreciated.
    thanks for reading.
    bob

Re: i want to buy a 110 mig welder, please give me feedback on pros and cons

In general, I would have to suggest to stay away from 110V units but for autobody work, they hard to beat.

Just make sure you get one that uses gas - flux core will leave you singing the blues. You can use Co2 - doesn't have to be the expensive gas. I have welded several hundred pounds of sheet metal into restoration cars in the past using a 110V mig with .020 and .023 wire using Co2. The worst thing about the 110s is the duty cycle and the amount of amps they draw. I always had mine on the rev limiter - so I added a fan to help keep it from overheating. I had to run a dedicated circuit to it, also - they pull a lot of amps for a 110 circuit. I also replaced the diodes in the machine with much larger units from two automotive alternators and used them in parallel to double the capacity of the poor things. I basically Tim Taylor'ed the thing. It is an older, portable Airco unit - I haven't even looked at the more current 110s to even comment on which to get.

Just make sure you can use gas and say no to flux core.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

For bodywork a newer 135 amp machine will work fine. However I use C 25 gas which is 75% argon 25% co2. Much cleaner than straight co2. Scott is right about fluxcore, might as well use a stick welder. But, a new 175 amp 110 machine you can do LIGHT frame repair like on your unibody Canso. Anything heavier you need a 220 machine. As far as brands Miller or Lincoln thats like Ford or Chevy.

Bruce

A craftsman is someone who does a better job than anyone thinks is necessary.

www.4x4mecca.com
    http://www.tbucketeers.com/

thanks scott.
    all i need it for are the autobody panels and some minor work.
    you have explained everything for me.
    thanks for the feedback.
    bob.

As with anything for a shop buy as big as you can afford, then maybe you'll only buy it once... A 175 amp as mentioned will give you a good range ,, do try and get one that has infinite heat seatings ,,, not the 1,2,3,4 click type, and one that you can use bottle gas with, another thought also that you can reverse polarity by switching the leads inside,, I had a Linde you could do this....

Whatever you get in the way of a 110v, don't get rid of it when you think it's time to graduate to more power. The portability of a 110v machine will quickly be missed.

Ask me how I know...
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

holy crap. heeeeeeeellllllp. i'v been on the phone all morning getting info about welders. now i am really confussed about what to get and what brand. i now have decided to get at least a 175-180 amp welder. i have checked miller, lincolin, hobart. it all depend who you talk to, but i had one guy tell me that miller was crap. it's all new to me, but he didn't pull the wool over my eyes.
    please remember these are canadian dollars. prices were from $990.00-$1100.00 on the miller 180. on the lincolin 180 they were aprox $1050.00-$1100.00. on the hobart 187 i can get one for $789.00 on sale in here town. i got quotes on the hobart 175 for $1300.00. this guy gave me a quote on a hobart 175. i couldn't even find that model anywhere. it must be the old model i figure. i think that the hobart 187 for $789.00 is the way i will go. it is the new model also. some guys are running hobart down, and some say they're ok. i personaly think they are ok. i was told it was a sister company to miller. i am not going into production or anything to that effect. it's just for around the garage. body panels etc.
    thanks guys
    bob.

I always have put a lot of faith in what my employers buy, and my past three employers have used Miller, so when I was in the market for welders, I knew which brand I wanted since I had been exposed to the durability of the Millers.

Hobart and Miller are basically the same company. I think for what you are looking to do, the Hobart will be fine.

For autobody work, you probably want to make sure the machine can handle small diameter wire - like .020 and .023. Using big wire for thin sheet metal sucks.

You likely will not be disastisfied with buying a larger machine - I think that's a good idea, but make sure you leave enough in you budget to pick up spare parts when you get the machine - liners, nozzles, contact tips and so forth. Get this stuff when you get the machine - the dealer may throw some of that stuff in when you pick the machine up if you go locally. I would reccomend at least 5 to 10 contact tips, 2 spare nozzles, a spare liner and an extra spool of wire. I also recommend leasing your bottle - rahter than buying it. Talk to your local guy about fill costs and get it in writing if you can - this way when you go for a re-fill, they can't stick it to you too bad.

Oh - get a few wire wipers (felt) and some nozzle dip. Maybe a can of anti-spatter, too - just make sure it's silicone free (for painting purposes).

Get your best price online, then take it to a local guy and see if he is willing to match it. Having a local guy can be a blessing later down the road. Also - ask him what parts he stocks for your machine and what he will do for you on bottle re-fills.

Scott
    Last edited by MXtras; 02-15-2007 at 06:10 PM.
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by MXtras View Post
    I always have put a lot of faith in what my employers buy, and my past three employers have used Miller, so when I was in the market for welders, I knew which brand I wanted since I had been exposed to the durability of the Millers.

Hobart and Miller are basically the same company. I think for what you are looking to do, the Hobart will be fine.

For autobody work, you probably want to make sure the machine can handle small diameter wire - like .020 and .023. Using big wire for thin sheet metal sucks.

You likely will not be disastisfied with buying a larger machine - I think that's a good idea, but make sure you leave enough in you budget to pick up spare parts when you get the machine - liners, nozzles, contact tips and so forth. Get this stuff when you get the machine - the dealer may throw some of that stuff in when you pick the machine up if you go locally. I would reccomend at least 5 to 10 contact tips, 2 spare nozzles, a spare liner and an extra spool of wire. I also recommend leasing your bottle - rahter than buying it. Talk to your local guy about fill costs and get it in writing if you can - this way when you go for a re-fill, they can't stick it to you too bad.

Oh - get a few wire wipers (felt) and some nozzle dip. Maybe a can of anti-spatter, too - just make sure it's silicone free (for painting purposes).

Get your best price online, then take it to a local guy and see if he is willing to match it. Having a local guy can be a blessing later down the road. Also - ask him what parts he stocks for your machine and what he will do for you on bottle re-fills.

Scott
    thanks a million scott. i value your opinion, knowledge and expertise.
    i will do all you have told me and thanks again. got it all written down so i don't forget.
    bob

I have Lincolns, but have used Miller. Both are awesome. I have to reiterate something.

BE SURE TO GET INFINATE ADJUSTMENT for wire and amperage! Or you'll be sorry! Its the difference between an awesome weld, and an acceptable weld.

I love my 135T Lincoln, but really want a 220 machine. I had to borrow one for doing my roll cage. I hate borrowing shit. It sucks!

You need to weigh the options before buying.

If you want portability, and NEVER PLAN on welding more than 1/4" for short periods of time, get the 110v

If you will do shop only, and only want to buy ONE welder, get the 220v

CHECK DUTY CYCLES !!!

The 110 gives up the ghost after a very short time of heavy (1/4") welding. The paperwork SAYS it will do 3/8, but thats with bevelled steel, and making several passes. Or very short beads with rest in between.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!