Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: i want to buy a 110 mig welder, please give me feedback on pros and cons

PS, I BUY my tanks so I can shop the 4 different shops for refills. They end up trading your bottles anyway, so I don't have to mess with lease deals.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2xs View Post
    I have Lincolns, but have used Miller. Both are awesome. I have to reiterate something.

BE SURE TO GET INFINATE ADJUSTMENT for wire and amperage! Or you'll be sorry! Its the difference between an awesome weld, and an acceptable weld.

I love my 135T Lincoln, but really want a 220 machine. I had to borrow one for doing my roll cage. I hate borrowing shit. It sucks!

You need to weigh the options before buying.

If you want portability, and NEVER PLAN on welding more than 1/4" for short periods of time, get the 110v

If you will do shop only, and only want to buy ONE welder, get the 220v

CHECK DUTY CYCLES !!!

The 110 gives up the ghost after a very short time of heavy (1/4") welding. The paperwork SAYS it will do 3/8, but thats with bevelled steel, and making several passes. Or very short beads with rest in between.
    thanks jeff, some excellent points made. i was going to buy my tanks just for the same reason.
    bob.

i have finally decided to get a miller 180 with the infinite voltage. it's a bit more expensive, but as a novice, and with all the possitive comments i am going with the 180 miller. the miller will be $990.00 canadian at liquid-air in saskatoon. so will pick it up tommorow.
    i'm so excited, it feel like xmas again.
    tanks y'all for duh comments, very much appreciated.
    like i said that's why this is the best forum there is.

Good points, Jeff!

Post up a quick review when you get the little bugger home, Bob!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

well they didn't have any 180 millers. the next shippment was going up so i said thanks but no thanks and went on my way.
    i went back home and am buying the hobart handler187 for $789.00. it doesn't have the infinite settings. but so be it.
    i'll do the best i can with what i have.
    it'll be better than what i have now, NOTHING. at least it will be big enough to do what i want and more.
    sure lookin forward ta gettin er home.
    i have limited funds, like most guys, so got to do what i got to do.
    thanks for all the help guys. very much appreciated.
    bob.

Well - whatever you get, post up a few pics and a quick review when you get it!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

What the hell are you doing on the computer??

GET FABRICATING!!!!! LOL
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by 67 canso s/d View Post
    well they didn't have any 180 millers. the next shippment was going up so i said thanks but no thanks and went on my way.
    i went back home and am buying the hobart handler187 for $789.00. it doesn't have the infinite settings. but so be it.
    i'll do the best i can with what i have.
    it'll be better than what i have now, NOTHING. at least it will be big enough to do what i want and more.
    sure lookin forward ta gettin er home.
    i have limited funds, like most guys, so got to do what i got to do.
    thanks for all the help guys. very much appreciated.
    bob.
    Bob,
    The 187 will not let you down....it is a better machine than even the Miller 180.......I don't have one,but was going to sell my DialArc 250 to get one (I'm now holding out to get a MM210).......the taps are fine in a machine of this class as you will notice little if any diff.......and the taps on the HH187 are a little on the hot side,but all of them work well......if you look at the MM180's manual/door chart the upper setting are not even listed.....doesn't mean you wouldn't use them,but just pointing that out. I am by no means an expert......I'm just passing on my research of the HH187 ,and I'm not knocking the MM180 it is fine,but the 187 is the tops in this class.
    Mike

hi y'all. i don't have it yet. but am going in tommorow to pick it up.
    i did a lot of research on the hh187. they said the taps are bit hotter like you said mike. if you were to use 5 for example, they say use 4 instead.
    yep, i know i will be happy with this hh187.
    i also have to get it hooked up etc. i have seen some comments on size of breaker to use. from what i have read, they say to at least go with a 30 amp breaker.
    let me know if this is proper and what you are using in your setup guys.
    ooooooohhhhhhhh i'm so excited, can't wait to get it.
    i'll never grow up. hell who wants to grow up. being a kid more than half the fun.
    it's been so long since i did any welding, that i hope some of it comes back to me. to be correct i have never done any mig welding, only stick welding. but practice makes perfect. i'll have a lot of fun learning. the first thing i'm going to make is a cart for the welder.
    i can't tell you guys enough, of how i appreciate all your comments.
    thanks,
    bob.

Bob,
    A 30 amp is the correct one for the HH187.......as far as carts I built one using ideas I got from the Hobart board........and as far as learning MIG if you have stick welded then you are in for a treat........
    Good Luck,
    Mike