Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone installed their own prefinished hardwood floors?

I'm considering this in the next couple of weeks. Turns out my wife is heading out of town for a boondoggle with her family for her Dad's 70th and I'd like to surprise her and have it done when she returns.

Since I finished renovating our master suite (nothing major), we've had a carpet remnant on top of CDX subfloor (glued and screwed to the original T&G floor which was not worth saving)

I did laminate floors on the 3rd floor of my house (kids level) and wanted something nicer for our area. Will likely replace the laminate floor "someday" on the 3rd floor, but it's OK for now.

I know my way around the wood shop...

I'm just beginning to look into this - any suggestions are welcome.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Re: Anyone installed their own prefinished hardwood floors?

Cebby: I installed hardwood floors in my house. This was the first time I have done this and it took me about 4 days total. It is not very easy to do and you have to go by the instruction to get it looking right. After I finished them they looked great. That will be the last time I do that again. If you go this way I hope your back is in good shape, because by the time I was finished mine sure did hurt.

Art

Well that’s how I spent New Year ’s Day, putting down a pre-finished wood floor in my parents kitchen

Between me, my fiancé, mom and dad we did it in one day but they had concert slab so we had to glue it down which is slow and messy

Since you have a wood sub floor and will be able to use one of those flooring nailers I would think it would do able in a weekend

OK, I've chosen which one I want to use. It is a Bruce Hardwood prefinished 3/4" thick product. They have stuff about gluing down OR toenailing down -- I plan to nail down. I had not planned for using material this thick (3/4") Good thing I have one of these:

At $3.98/SF, it is pretty reasonably priced also.

There was also an "engineered hardwood" that snapped together like the Armstrong laminate I did on the 3rd floor, but it was only 3/8" thick.

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

I put a laminate floor down in our entryway 10 years ago when we added on the garage and upstairs office. It floats on a foam pad and has stood up very well to all of the mess and tracking that 4 humans and a big dog bring in with them. It is really tough stuff. I use scraps on my work bench as backer boards for cutting with utility knifes... The best thing is it cleans up with a damp mop and never needs refinishing.
    Mark
    I am like a LavaLamp... Not very brite but fun to watch...

The Mrs leaves this Friday for a week. I plan to get the goods after she goes and let the material acclimate to the house for a couple of days.

Also installing medicine cabinets (custom work involved) and lighting (more custom work involved), adding a Corian cap on a 1/2 wall and Corian back splashes that I "never got around to" (already have Corian sink/vanity top). I'll do that part while the wood acclimates.

If I have time, the bathroom might get another coat of paint too.

cool
    dont forget to post some pics of how it turns out

Cebby: I used stainless steel sheets for my backsplash in the kitchen. It came our really good. I got the sheets at Lowes for around 10.00 per sheet
    (4x3) sheets. I like to do things around the house like this. Keeps me busy and out of trouble. My next big project is the living room ceiling, right now it has square tiles on it, do not know what is under it yet, but it is coming down.

I picked up the material on Friday night so i could have it acclimate to the house... A little over a thou in material (hmm... could have gotten a plasma with the money...)

Today I figured a couple of hours tops to empty the room and I'd be moving along on prepping for the floor install.

Did I mention that I'm running the floor into my wife's closet? Interesting when you do a surprise like this the stuff you find in your wife's closet... shoes, shoes, and more shoes - purses out the wazoo - some still in bags with the price tags still on them - piles of clothes on the floor in the closet.... There is no way she has a handle on what she has.... "I don't have a thing to wear" - if I had a dollar for every time I heard that...

Anyway, the room is still not cleared - and we are getting a major snow storm tonight tomorrow. OK by me - I love driving in snow... I sill need to pickup the floor nailer - since I'll be on the clock with the rental, I want to be sure I have everything prepped and be ready to go with it. Also discovered I forgot to get a transition from the new hard wood to the ceramic in the bathroom (no big deal through - I'll be doing that last anyway)

Pics tomorrow...

Well, my schedule was shot from the get-go. Remember that snow storm? Yep, we got it. My kids who normally would have been in school all day were home for two days in a row plus a two hour delay on the third day. Needless to say, the floor did not get completed by the time my wife returned home. She got home late Thursday - floor got finished Saturday morning.

A word to the wise for anyone attempting this. For good results and the least amount of waste/rejected boards (at least with the Bruce hardwood I used), a flooring nailer is imperative. I got 10 boxes of material (each box covers 20 square feet). Some boxes had nice straight boards, some not so straight. Universally though, the nailer was able to take any amount of warp/bow out of the boards when fastening them.

Ah the nailer - while a godsend, I took a bath on it. HD gets $32 per day plus some other fees that brings it up to about $37 per day out the door. I planned to have it for 2 days - with my kids home, this turned into 4. So I got socked for $150 for renting the nailer. Hindsight being what it is, next time I'm buying one of those things. I plan a lot more hardwood, so I can justify it easily. They run around $500 new I think.

Back pain? Yep. Sore knees? Yep. Worth the pain (and time and effort)? Yep. Looks great...and my wife loves it. The pain is temporary, the enjoyment of the floor will last much longer - besides, popping Motrin like candy alleviates much of the discomfort...

Pics you say? Pics you'll have!

Started with an empty room - that's CDX on the floor under the remnant, liquid nailed and screwed to the original Pine T&G decking. House was built in 1922. I put the CDX down about 8 years ago (damn, it's been THAT long?)

The closet - with a custom setup I built sitting on top of laminate floor (which I used up stairs and planned for the closet, when we originally planned for wall to wall carpet)

I used red rosin paper under the floor - it said it was optional, but if used would give a more "solid" feel to the floor. For $9 for the roll, I'd have been silly not to use it. Here's a shot of the first few rows and two of my three "helpers".

Running the floor into the closet...

More Progress pics...

Here's the happy Mrs. as we bring stuff back into the room... (I made that headboard a few years ago, too)

A few more pics in the gallery under the home renovation section.

I'll be doing a lot more wood in the future, especially now that I have a room under my belt. I'll post some pics of the trim out also. Coped cuts are a pain on oak molding....
    Last edited by Cebby; 02-19-2007 at 11:18 AM.