Plastisol or vinyl dipped steel as a finish vs. Powder Coating

Anyone ever done this or know how the process works? I watched a video about how they make the vinyl caps, so the process is likely similar.

My question about this is, if I'm trying to protect a metal surface from a device I'm making so there isn't metal to metal contact, is this Plastisol stuff better than say powdercoating? The pieces would not be getting hammered together, but under vehicle operation, there could be some vibrations that may cause rattling (possibly not though - not tested just yet)

Here's a link to a Plastisol service: http://www.plasti-coat.com/dipcoat.htm

$225 minimum lot price - not sure on a per piece since the design isn't final yet...
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Re: Plastisol or vinyl dipped steel as a finish vs. Powder Coating

The problem I see with the image you have planted in my head is that moisture could get under the plastic and cause either cosmetic or structural damage - the plastic is not all that strong nor abrasion resistant. The coatings I am familiar with have longevity issues. Then again I don't know the application or which coating it is you are refering to exactly.

I would maybe look into attaching a piece of HDPE, UHMW or Urethane to the area. Maybe. I don't really know what it is you are coming up with! (I am not trying to pry - just trying to help).

Will the part be exposed to heat? Sunlight? Impact? All of these elements, as you know, affect different plastics in different ways. Urethanes are great at most all of these aspects except the sunlight - there you have to be carefull - even if it's not in direct sunlight. Just some of my thoughts.

I think there are lot of options that might be better than the vinyl or PVC Plastisol stuff.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

What do you think Cebby?
    Silver vein powder coat...

*Experienced Custom Powder Coater*

Loudin's Powder Coating

I'm not doubting the strength of powdercoat, I'm concerned that I need a "softer" finish on what I'm creating so it doesn't mar the piece it attaches to.

How many coats of powder can be applied to a piece? Does it get any more "softness" to it as you increase the number of coats?
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
    I'm not doubting the strength of powdercoat, I'm concerned that I need a "softer" finish on what I'm creating so it doesn't mar the piece it attaches to.

How many coats of powder can be applied to a piece? Does it get any more "softness" to it as you increase the number of coats?
    As far as softness goes....you're crapped out there Ceb. Only way to make powder coat soft is to underbake it which is a no-no. You can put up to 3 coats on one piece.
    *Experienced Custom Powder Coater*

Loudin's Powder Coating

They sell the plastic coating in a bottle for small jobs. If your's is not that big it might be worth the try. I got a med size jar to coat most of the tool handles and it was only aboyt 5-6 dollars. I did this about three years ago and so far no wear.

Art

What about spray on bed liner. It is somewhat giving and yet keeps moisture out.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics