Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No room for an actual dedicated welding "bench"...

But I have an idea.

I have been using a perforated steel door from a trading desk (I am in the furniture business, at least some of the time). It's OK for tacking/welding as long as I don't try to use it as a fixture. Really best for stuff that can be clamped together, not to the worksurface. It IS nice nit ti have to ground the work directly though, but I digress..

Most of yo have seem pics of my eyesore also known as my shop. Perfect example of 20 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag....and with the cold weather approaching, my wife, the squirrel, has already begun sticking her crap in there.

Most of her crap will go, but I still wouldn't have the room for a conventional welding table at this time. Enter my trip to my steel supplier today. I was getting some steel for a little product prototype I'm working on and it occured to me to have a look at the plate "drops" rack. Turns out I found a nice an clean (and flat and square) 1/2" x 23" x 37" plate. I'm going to make some short standoffs for it to raise it upp off my wood workbench when I'm doing small stuff.

I've never had a surface I could tack stuff too before now, soo I'm pretty stoked. I may bend some type of handles for it so I can move it a little easier. That homey is heavy!

Pics to follow!!
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Re: No room for an actual dedicated welding "bench"...

Sorry Cebby. I just had to use that smilie..........

Congrats on the new surface. I'm betting that the Mrs. will probably have you put it to another use after the holidays. Any takers on bets for what Cebby will be bench pressing well into the New Year??
    In a while, Chet.

Talking Re: No room for an actual dedicated welding "bench"...

Nice little set of plans for a small welding table on the Lincoln website. This is the one I made...added a vice and some wheels on one end and it does the job just fine. My trail rig is so high in the rear end I can slide the welding table under the frame rails.

I did modify it a bit and used 3/16" thick plate for the tops as I had some in the shop that I got laser cut at work. It was a fun project and made a really nice table for under $50.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...ldingtable.asp

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-27-2006 at 09:42 AM.
    WabFab Off-Road, LLC
    Toyota 4x4 Parts and Custom Fabrication
    www.myspace.com/wabfab

September Sale of the Month - SAS KITS

Used Parts for Sale

I've seen nice little folding welding tables. But they are made of mesh. Can't really weld to them. But they fold into nothing.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

I'm thinking that if I can integrate some tool storage into this thing, I can probably justify the space a cart would take.

Needs big casters though... That's my beef with both my Bender Stand and my TIG cart, they are hard to roll (they are both really heavy though).

I wonder if I could integrate my TIG cart and welding table.... Hmmmm
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

I made this one for the Miller contest http://www.millerwelds.com/education...le_weld_table/
    They just put their version of the plans up on the website yesterday. The top is onlly 18x24 but you can alter to suit your needs.
    Mac

I got this fom my dad:

And this is in action "after:"

Here is the table I made for my buzz box. It has everything I need right there. The wheels are about 3" and do ok rolling around my shop area.

FredlyFX
    http://fredlyfx.com

Here is one I made up from discarded coin-op washer, meter boxes. It is usually good enough for my projects and takes up little space.

Thumbs up Re: No room for an actual dedicated welding "bench"...

I have a small shop at home. I am thinking of getting a steel surface plate and adding legs. I use one at work and it kicks but....

http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/...Method=keyword