Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Tap and die set.... what do you have

so im looking at getting a tap and die set, but im not sure what brand has a quality set. i feel like this is something that i shouldn't go with craftsman on but i could be wrong. im looking for a pretty extensive set BTW.

what do you guys have?

thanks, d

Re: Tap and die set.... what do you have

I'm using the Hanson 40+ sets in both metric and Imperial. Neighbor has more or less the same set...for a heck of a lot more money...combined and rebadged/sold by Mac. Seems to get the jobs I need done completed. Greenfield is a good brand...better than the Hanson I own...but more expensive. I'd recommend that you buy a Hanson set and replace the most used taps and dies over time with Greenfield ones. Get some tapping fluid or lube crayon and a tapping chart for the nominal drill sizing.

If you do alot of tapping and have a good drill press or mill, go with a tapping head. Speeds up the work and minimizes the breakage.

I got the Eastwood set. I've only used it a couple of times - it has worked fine. There are different types of taps - I think there's a post about it here somewhere...

Here's the drill tap chart (from under the links section here): http://reference.toolandfab.com/refe...s/drilltap.htm
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

My 'set' consists of mainly individually purchased machine taps - mostly from Titex and Balax. I am, uhmmm, different! I use machine quality taps exclusively - no hand taps.

Balax quality is nearly equal to Titex, BTW. Their machine taps are tough. Balax can be purchased through from MSC which adds to the convenience factor dramatically!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

For all its worth...

I still have the original craftsman set I bought when I was 18. (25 years ago) I never have replaced a tap or die!!! The handles......well, I've smoked that, the hansen, general (real junk) and greenlee. So if anyone has a recommendation for a GOOD one. My buddy made one in his machine tool class, and that was mint!! He wouldn't make ME one....I did get to try it. Good and solid.

The key is to BE SURE you use the right drill size for tapping, and have the right OD for dies. I may go a BIT overboard on lube, but aluminum galls so easy if you don't. I use "tap magic" lube.
    Just about anything should hold up in the AVERAGE shop. But you can't go wrong buying quality. It gives you something to hand down to your heirs.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2xs View Post
    ...It gives you something to hand down to your heirs.
    The problem with that is that I am losing most of my hair....

Scott

If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I broke down and bought a Craftsman "standard/metric set, recently. After all my life collecting bits and pieces as I needed them, I have a whole drawer full of bits and pieces, and decided to get something more coherent. You know what?? I still reach into that big drawer, instead of getting that fancy set out, when I need sonmething.
    How'd you do that? How's that work??
    EMF - Breakin', Fixin' and Messin' with stuff for over fifty years.
    Retired Electrician, Lineman, Millwright.

I use a craftaman set at work. It has been fine.

I also have the Hanson sets in metric and SAE but they only get used when I need to put my hands on a tap in a hurry (they are in a neat plastic case that I can see without looking for glasses first). I also have several drawers of individual taps and dies, mostly Greenfield. My FIL was a toolmaker and when he passed on, he left me 3 completely full mashinist's tool boxes and several boxes of taps, drills, and reamers.
    Mac