Does this sound right for the price?

I decided a long while ago to have the frame for my '78 Monte powder coated. I called a local place that does a lot of powder coating and other assorted metal finishing, and I got a quote of "around $250 for silica media blasting and then powder coating in a gloss black finish". This almost seems way to cheap for the quality of work I've seen from this shop. Am I getting set up for a real wallet ripping (I haven't heard any complaints from others who've had these guys do work) or is this about right? Just curious.
    In a while, Chet.

Re: Does this sound right for the price?

Seems like you need to jump on that like an Ethiopian on a ham sandwich! That sounds really cheap to me.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

That seems pretty inexpensive to me, but if that's what this guy does day in - day out, then he probably has it down to a science. If he does alot of stuff in black, he likely buys in bulk so his material costs are pretty low.

Jump on it!
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Yeh...thats cheap! Although black is pretty much a standard color...theres ALOT of sand blasting, hanging, pretreating, and coating. If he has the proper set up, and it sounds like he does, then he can have it done within 2 days. Thats with a large blast unit...
    *Experienced Custom Powder Coater*

Loudin's Powder Coating

Get it writing first.

My buddy gets race car chassis' done for $350, and there is alot more stripping and waste on those tubes. Sounds right for my area. But our economy sucks.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

I talked to some guys at work (one has an uncle who works there) and got a pleasant treat. This place has around 200 employees and is growing in leaps and bounds. Sounds like they do a TON of work for area businesses and small time individuals alike. I'd never paid that much attention whenever I'd heard them mentioned before, but now I am. I knew that they had done some metal finishing on some of the product lines we run at my work, but I kinda passed them off as being not much more than a division of Kolbe Windows and Doors that we just hadn't got into our main plant. Next time around, I'm doing more research so I don't look like a dummy......
    In a while, Chet.

Hey Chet one thing before you get it powder coated be sure and any places that have threads or weld nuts in place put a bolt in the threads you have hard time getting bolts in if you don't..or ask how to protect the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by zonk View Post
    Hey Chet one thing before you get it powder coated be sure and any places that have threads or weld nuts in place put a bolt in the threads you have hard time getting bolts in if you don't..or ask how to protect the threads.
    The coater should have silicone plugs for that...but yeh...specify to him what threaded places and machined surfaces that need taping up.
    *Experienced Custom Powder Coater*

Loudin's Powder Coating

Quote Originally Posted by zonk View Post

Solid advice that I'd never even thought of. Thanks Zonk. Next time we meet up, I'll catch you a cold beverage of your choice.
    In a while, Chet.