Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow Delta or Wilton? Which would you buy?

Looking for a large, commercial quality belt/disc combination sander/finisher.

Any opinions or comparisons between Delta and Wilton?

Here is a link to the Wilton:
    http://www.southern-tool.com/store/4200a_sander.html

And here is a link to the Delta:
    http://www.toolbarn.com/product/delta/31-735A/

Both models have the same basic function and features. Which would you choose?

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Re: Delta or Wilton? Which would you buy?

I'd be careful with using either of those for metal. I have a similar Delta one (I think it's a 6" belt/9"disc) and in the documentation it says not to use it for metal. I had asked if anyone had tried it with metal and had gotten a mixed response.

The "metal only" versions are alot more money from what I've seen. Maybe have a look at Van Sant (www.tricktools.com) They have a cool bench mounted unit (http://vansantent.com/multitool.htm) that is very reasonable. Not sure if it is big enough for you, but what it has that the wood sanders don't is some "give" to the drive wheel. It is a soft rubber with kerfs in it so it is forgiving when pushing work pieces into it. Sort of like the difference between a grinding wheel and a flap disc.

I have an "Expander wheel" I got from Eastwood years ago that I used for taking rough cast alum pieces and polishing them. I had to buy a dedicated motor that turned slower for it, but it worked very well. http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT. It's the same concept on many of these metal grinding systems now. Geez - I think I bought that thing in 1993!
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Scott
    Look into JET and Grizzly Tool as well, before making a decision. Neither are BLUE, but, in this day in age, you have to adapt!
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Hey - I have CASES of blue paint on hand. I can adapt!

Here's another HD unit:
    http://www.good-tools-online.info/to...65337434e.html

EDIT - - look at their list price (that's crossed out), then look at the "sale" price! HA! Yeah - I am gonna buy from them, sure! ($1221 List price, on sale for $1400+!)

Cebby - you mentioned no sanding of metals on these - why is that? I've worked a few shops that have similar machines - I can't recall if they were Wilton or Delta, but they were fine. What's your take on that?

Still on the hunt.....

I see Shop Fox, Powermatic, Delta and Wilton. Who else is out there? OOps - Jet and Grizzly. The Jet apparently has some issues with belt tracking and I read some pretty nasty reviews on the Grizzly (bad vibration, bad bearing, horibble castings, stripped threads, etc.).

Scott
    Last edited by MXtras; 10-04-2006 at 05:54 PM.

Scott - I don't remember there being a compelling reason aside from it "not being recommended". I've got to see if I can locate that thread somewhere. Might have been over at SFT...

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Really?? I always thought the Grizzley was pretty good stuff. I have their brake, and a few other tools. My fatherinlaw has most of his shop in Grizzley (wood shop), as well as my brother inlaw. They have raved about it. Thats the first I have heard bad about them. Same with the Jet. Sorry about that!
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

My bro-in-law and his father-in-law are both huge Grizzly users and swear by them. I haven't head any of these quality claims. Same goes for Jet. IMO you are looking at nicer machines than those though (with the Delta and Wilton)

I can't find the thread I as looking for about the sanders not being recommended for metal - still looking....

Reviews of the larger Grizzly sander:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...&n=228013&s=hi

(note - the reference to Delta in the above review is for a far less expensive, lower quality, plastic, made-in-who-knows-where home use Delta sander - not anything close to the heavier Deltas I have been refering to)

A few favorable reviews for the Powermatic:

And for the Jet:

EDIT - I could not locate any reviews on the Delta or the Wilton. Probably because these are heavier machines and the buyers of such equipment do so through larger commercial outlets - not Amazon, for example and do not take the time to post their comments on the net - on sites like Epinions.com, etc.

Still shopping...... So far, I am leaning towards the Powermatic, but I don't have any experience with this company, nor have I personally seen their products. I have seen BurrKing (not enough machine there to justify their obsurd pricing), I have used Delta and Wilton and I have seen Jet and equivalent Chinese equipment. So far, the nod goes to Powermatic.....but I am still on the quest for info.

Scott
    Last edited by MXtras; 10-03-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Scott,
    Powermatic makes great woodworking equipment. Don't know what their metal line is like, but probably in the same league.

As far as the differences in Wilton and Delta...I believe they are the same as sister companies within a larger conglomerate. I know the small Delta 1 x 42 belt/disc sander I have is an exact double of the Wilton. The name changes, the price goes up, but in the end they are the same machine with maybe a minor tooling difference here and there.

Whatever you get, don't "smurf" it right away. You may just be able to break the grasp of blue tool fixation with a bit of therepy. Remember, Uncle Roy is here to help!

EDIT: Most of the changes to any of these tools for use in metalwork is just converting from plastic to metal shrouds and covers along with metal instead of plastic/rubber drive wheels.
    Last edited by Wyoming; 10-04-2006 at 04:13 PM.

New equipment won't be smurfed.

Refurbed stuff, however....

I am finding the main difference between metal sanders and wood sanders is the speed. The metal sanders spin twice as fast from what I have found so far. I think the reason folks don't recommend them is that they maybe use wood sanders for metal and the belts just shread and fall apart. The versions made for use on wood and plastics max out at around 1200FPM and the metal versions spin from 2850FPM up to 4800FPM. Big, big difference.

Still searching..... I am also not really sure if I am going to get the big, honking 6X48 with a 12" disc or go with a smaller, more versatile, belt only machine as Cebby suggested.

I really like the JMR belt sander but that's a lot of cash for what it is. (piccy attached) Nice stuff, but for that cash, I would build myself.

I also found a really nice convertable job. I will dig for the link and post it up when it's located.....

Scott
    Last edited by MXtras; 10-04-2006 at 05:13 PM.