Any tips for stubborn faucet nut?

My dad wants to swap out his kitchen faucet for a new one. He is having a tough time getting the nut off the faucet with the usual basin wrench. He said he couldn't get at it very well with the disposal in there, so I had him pull that out (helping remotely at this point). Pulling the sink isn't a good option since it is composite as is their countertop. I'm concerned he'd mess up the sink/counter, so I advised against this.

I suggested a crowfoot wrench, but those aren't readily available locally in 1 1/4". Then I suggested using a large blade scredriver against it with a mallet in an attempt to get it free.

Before he did anything other than the basin wrench though, I had an epiphany.... DREMEL! Cut the nut off...

He hasn't done it yet, but I have no doubts that it will work fine. What have you guys tried for stubborn nuts/bolts in tight places?
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Re: Any tips for stubborn faucet nut?

I am assuming it is a metal nut.

I have gone as far as cutting the line as close to the nut as possible and using a deep well socket on an extension.

Other than that... The basin wrench or crows foot always worked for me.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Take a old deep socket and cut the side out of it. I had to do this once and it worked. kIND OF LIKE A O2 socket

I had that same problem a while back (good grief, it's been almost a year), and finally just resorted to the basin wrench, and a lot of colorful language, deep breathing, and patience. Have him put lots of padding on the cabinet floor and edge, get good lighting under there, get fairly comfortable, and just work at it easy like. Our older bods don't like that laying and reaching, especially if you have to lay over an edge like that. I don't know your Dad, but I tend to get like an old dog with a bone about stuff like that, and sometimes, you just gotta back off, let it be for a while, then get back at it - frustrating, but it works.

By-the-bye, the Dremel was not an option for me; not enough room up in that hole. It might work in your Dad's case.
    Last edited by EMF; 09-21-2006 at 09:02 PM.
    How'd you do that? How's that work??
    EMF - Breakin', Fixin' and Messin' with stuff for over fifty years.
    Retired Electrician, Lineman, Millwright.

He ended up getting it with the dremel. I think it was the first time it was out of the box since I bought it for him two years ago. He discovered that the two cut off wheels don't last too long - he had to go out and get more midway through. I don't think he used much finesse with the thing unfortunately.

My dad is a retired engineer, he was hell bent on using a wrench of some sort. When I suggested the dremel, he had just about had it, so the sugestion came at a good time for him.

X 2 about getting comfy - I hate working under sinks.

I ended up sharing all these other ideas with him and there was a lot of head nodding. I think he was just happy it was over...
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks