Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Building low height deck...

Cebby, I wish I had noticed this thread earlier. I posted pics of my almost-done 10 by 12 deck. I wrote all about it in the pics. I used 14 of those concrete piers. It's totally level (for now at least) and sits about 14" above ground at it's highest. About $450 for this little bugger.
    In a while, Chet.

Is it over in your journal at Hotrodders? I'll have a look. I haven't built the deck yet - putting it off until next month...
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Naaa, but I did put 3 pics in the "renovation gallery.
    In a while, Chet.

Oops... Didn't occur to me to look here... Thanks for the pics!!

How big is your deck? I'm sure the 2x10's on top help with rigidity - I was planning 5/4x6 - still should be OK, right? Good idea with the screen too...

That method should work out perfectly for me - and not break the bank...
    Last edited by Cebby; 08-24-2006 at 10:23 AM.

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

It's 10 by 12. Oh yeah it's very solid for being free standing as it is. The local Menards store had to move (new interchange) and sold all the old stuff at a deep discount instead of moving it. I bought all 14 piers for about $27. Sure beat the regular cost of roughly $5.29 each. I'll give it that the 2 by 10deck planks look a bit odd, but they were free, so I am not complaining.

Couple big bits of advice to you. DO NOT scrimp on fasteners. And, take your time when driving the screws so that you don't countersink them into oblivion. I used #2 square stainless steel screws. Easiest to drive, especially better than Phillips head screws. I had used 1 bit for over 90% of the build-up, but hit one plank that cost me 5 more. I guess 7 bits for driving that many screws wasn't all bad.

I also need to state that the screening was my wife's idea. She knows I need to overbuild everything (it's my one huge addiction ), and then asked me if I thought about screening to keep the bugs out. She's too good for me I know....
    In a while, Chet.

One point that most know, but I'll say it for those who don't know.

When installing your deck boards, be sure to face the growth rings DOWN.

To further explain
    If you look at the end of the board, you will see the concentric growth lines. They will be arc-ed. Consider it like a cup. If they face down, it can't hold water, if it faces up, it will hold water.

Heres why! The board will cup when it shrinks. If it faces up, it will promote a tripping hazard, and likely pull the fasteners thru the board. Facing down, will AT WORST, cause a minor bump between fasteners.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

I guess I should add that the joists on ANY construction should be placed with the bow of the board placed upwards. Take a second to look at the joist before nailing it in. They ALL have a slight arc, as they dry. Look at the growth rings on the side of the board for additional hints as to which way the board will cup.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Cebby if you cover up your seldom used basement stairs, you may be creating a huge problem if you ever have a fire and you are in the basement. How are you going to get out. Not to mention the insurance factor. Just a thought.

Willy

Quote Originally Posted by willy victor
    Cebby if you cover up your seldom used basement stairs, you may be creating a huge problem if you ever have a fire and you are in the basement. How are you going to get out. Not to mention the insurance factor. Just a thought.

Willy
    That's a good point, however the door down there is padlocked from the outside currently. Fortunately, there are windows under my front porch that I can get my large frame through though...

Subscribing, I'm ripping mine apart and redoing it next summer. Same idea.