Laminate Flooring Pros Cons

Finally getting ready to redo the kitchen floor. Pretty much leaning towards possibly laminate tile. Anyone here worked with these products, heard some can be noisy? Have to put down some type of sound barrier? Any thoughts?

Re: Laminate Flooring Pros Cons

I did the entire 3rd floor of my house in laminate planks. These were the snap together glueless type.

I planned it so I had no thresholds at any of the doorways (this is the floor for my kids bedroom/playroom area - thresholds mess up Hotwheel vrooming) This added to the complexity, but it looks alot better IMO - two rooms separated by a wide hallway. Probably about 400 SF total.

It has held up very well. This includes having heavy wood blocks getting dropped onto it, beds being rolled on it, and all sorts of wheeled toys running all over most hours of the day. When I installed this stuff, I had talked to a former acquaintence who had it in her kitchen. The only downside she said was that they had dropped a wine bottle on it - didn't break the bottle, but it did leave a 1/2 moon dent in one of the boards.

For underlayment, there were two options when I sintalled mine (roughly 4 or 5 years ago now) One was a thin closed cell foam (think thin packing foam) and the other was a thin jute with a vapor barrior. The jute one was a little more, but I felt it was alot better and went with it.

I used the matching quater round from the manufacturer to hide the gap you need to leave around the floor (for expansion/contraction). turned out nice if I do say so myself...
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

This is good info Cebby. I am planning laminate flooring through my great room, dining room, kitchen and hallways.

What brand of flooring did you use?

And Zonk, you are talking about the "wood" floor correct? You said tile. If you are talking about those snap together floor tiles, I would suggest against it. The grout used for those (more like a caulk) is pure trash and it will start to split early on in the life of the tile.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Glenn - I think zonk means the laminate wood floor that is in 12x12 (or larger form factor - square instead of planks) The material and install method is the same. The laminate floors have a dense wood core, but the "wood" is actually just a picture of wood on paper and is covered with thin (clear) plastic.

I used Armstrong and have been very happy with it. I used a DeWalt 12" miter saw primarily and also a circular saw/jig saw for rips and odd cut outs. I used an old 80 tooth blade - it got pretty dull through the process, so be prepared for this. A blade sharpening will be in your future for sure.
    Last edited by Cebby; 08-12-2006 at 04:02 PM.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Wife brought some samples home look like tile 12 x12 snap together like Cebby said doesn't use any grout. Info I have gathered be sure and get laminate that has high density?,,, also wife heard Pergo brand tends to be more noisy, also with the laminate hardwood flooring a friend at work told stick to the narrow baords the wide will tend to curl alittle. Looked at Armstrong brand looked nice trying to decide on color.

Stay away from Pergo.

I have talked to many people in the flooring business and none of them had anything good to say about Pergo. In fact one guy said when I asked him about Pergo, "Well, just notice that I don't carry it."
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Unless the wife changes her mind we decided to go with www.quick-step.com
    products for our laminate tile Quadra there product name Luna the color. Being the kitchen is light cherry cabinets and blue tile on the backsplash just wanted to accent them nicely without to much color. She found these at Diamond Vogel local paint store.