Painting over Steel Siding ?

Ok a question, been doing some touch up painting. Or house has steel siding and I think steel soffits too was done in I think early 80's. Is it possible to paint over steel siding with a good latex, enamil paint, or won't it even stick and just peel off and have a mess. My soffits are dull and dirty sometime am going to take the power washer to them and the siding an clean them up, been thinking it would be nice if I could change the color. Just a thought.

Re: Painting over Steel Siding ?

I imagine that if they were clean and dry that a good enamel would be fine. I would not recommend latex for steel, but that's just me.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I painted over my siding that is steel. I used a good orimer first then used a good outside latex. That was 5 years ago and no problems with it yet. The prep is the most important step to any paint job. Do not scimp on the paint.

Did you do anything special to the siding as far as prep? What kind of primer oil base,latex?

No just cleaned it real good, the primer was a real good expensive latex and the same with the paint. I used a 3" brush because a roller would not get along the creases in the siding. It might have taken me a couple extra hours this way but I think it went on better.

Hey guys, I just joined but I thought i would add my .02cents...
    Before you do any painting wash the house down with hot water and TSP (Tri-sodiumphosphate) This is easily obtainable at any hardware store and is real cheap. Just follow the directions on the box.
    Latex primer will work but I would suggest a GOOD oil based primer just to get a good base. Anything can then be put over the top of it...
    Mark
    I am like a LavaLamp... Not very brite but fun to watch...

Would you use latex paint to paint your car? Why would you want to use latex to paint over steel?

To paint sheet steel, prep it by sanding the sun hazing (chalking) off, as well as dulling the factory finish with a 3M fiber scouring pad. Comes in three different grits, I used the rouge color, dark grey was too scratchy.White was too fine. All you want to do is just scuff the surface and get thru the impurties left on the surface. Use automotive primer, apply with an air-less commercial spray, a Wagner won't cut it. Make sure the viscosity is correct and it spray without running. Buy some corr-a-plast (corrigated plastic used in signs) and to tack over any windows when you're spraying. Use it as a straight edge to keep spray off of doors windows, stucco, etc. Once the primer is layed on, paint over with the color of your choice enamel just like it was used in the factory. If you got 10 to 15 years from the factory paint you'll get just as long with this.

Wash the house with a pressure washer (lower pressure is fine) and a chlorine wash. Once it is dry, just paint it with standard house latex paint. (Exterior Grade.) It will hold up fine.

My father has been a painter my whole life. I have painted more houses than I can remember.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Thats what I did over 7 years ago. Still looks new.