Making some door molding...

I finally caved in and am taking care of some door trim that has been missing since we had a minor termite issue. Ripped the trim off quite some time ago and never did anything about replacing it.

Well, the Mrs. finally had enough of a bee in her bonnet to do something about the room. Eventually, this existing room will be completely gutted and be converted into our kitchen - this will be happening some time later - probably in the next couple of years. For now, this is our living/family room.

We recently got new chairs and have some new tables that have been in storage for nearly 7 years - awaiting the time when our kids won't totally destroy our furniture. (Still need glass tops for them though). New carpet comes tomorrow, so I need to get cracking.

All the trim was repainted gloss white yesterday and the walls get painted today. It will be a nice change - we'll see how the kids adjust to not eating in this room....

I'm not overly concerned with matching the trim exactly, but I want it to be similar. Here's a couple of shots of the existing molding. Not exactly crisp since there is likely 20 coats of paint on it...

Here's what I came up with:

I'll fudge the numbers slightly...

Tools for making the profile will include only a table saw and router (with guide). I will use a small v-groove bit, a 3/8 round nose, a 15 deg chamfer, and 3/8 round over.

To fit the molding around the door, I'll use a miter saw and probably a biscuit joiner - not sure if the frame is square - will need to check that out.
    Last edited by Cebby; 03-14-2009 at 04:11 AM.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Re: Making some door molding...

Small change in plans. I don't have a 3/8 round nose bit, so it will be 1/2" now. Looks closer to the original anyway, I'll also be backing off on the depth of the v-groove.

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Made some other changes along the way to further matchup what I was attempting to duplicate (and work with the tooling I had - discovered the chamber bit doesn't fit through the base of my router...), but got all the machining done...

Here's a revised drawing of what I came up with:

I forgot how much fun routing is. Man I just love it. Gotta have decent tools though. I did all of the machining with my PC handheld fixed base router and the awesome 42700 guide

Sorry, no pics of the actual work - everytime I reached for my camera, I discovered my memory stick wasn't in the camera..

Here's the end result - mounting it up today...
    Last edited by Cebby; 06-05-2006 at 01:52 PM.

Cebby: Looking good. I love woodworking and using a router. I have over 60 bits and have not gotten to use all of them. What I did do was take a piece of wood and use each bit to make about a 1" mark and then drilled a hole behind it to store the bit in. That way fi and when I need to use one I can look at the wood and see what is does. I just finished reding my bathroom. Had to tear out all the walls,restud,drywall,plumbing,elect,tile and paint. Never do another one again.

Art

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
    I finally caved in and am taking care of some door trim that has been missing since we had a minor termite issue. Ripped the trim off quite some time ago and never did anything about replacing it.

Well, the Mrs. finally had enough of a bee in her bonnet to do something about the room. Eventually, this existing room will be completely gutted and be converted into our kitchen - this will be happening some time later - probably in the next couple of years. For now, this is our living/family room.

We recently got new chairs and have some new tables that have been in storage for nearly 7 years - awaiting the time when our kids won't totally destroy our furniture. (Still need glass tops for them though). New carpet comes tomorrow, so I need to get cracking.

All the trim was repainted gloss white yesterday and the walls get painted today. It will be a nice change - we'll see how the kids adjust to not eating in this room....

I'm not overly concerned with matching the trim exactly, but I want it to be similar. Here's a couple of shots of the existing molding. Not exactly crisp since there is likely 20 coats of paint on it...

Here's what I came upp with:

I'll fudge the numbers slightly...

Tools for making the profile will include only a table saw and router (with guide). I will use a small v-groove bit, a 3/8 round nose, a 15 deg chamfer, and 3/8 round over.

To fit the molding around the door, I'll use a miter saw and probably a biscuit joiner - not sure if the frame is square - will need to check that out.
    That is such some cool couple of shots of the existing molding.

Crap, my pics are missing...

EDIT: Pics attached to first post.

Here's how the woodworking went. I'll snap some pics of the finished product (don't have any for some reason)
    Last edited by Cebby; 03-14-2009 at 04:16 AM.

That's pretty neat