New high amp model found a new home

This afternoon my B&D 4 1/2 grinder finally had to be layed to rest after a hard almost 20 years of service. The ring and pinion gears in the head let go and that was it. I'd been wanting to get a new one for awhile, but this little breakdown left me no choice.

I got in my rig and went to Home Depot and purchased a new DeWalt 10 amp model, got it home and gave it a test run. Got to say, it has some guts. This one is a REAL keeper.

For $89.00, the 10 amp is the only way to go. I'll be getting a couple more of these, in the near future. It's always best to have a backup, just in case.... .
    BILL

Miller 251 wirefeed
    Miller Dailarc 250 AC/DC
    Thremo Dynamics 1000XR Plasma
    Weldcraft TIG torch
    Victor O/A torch
    DeWalt 10 amp 4-1/2" grinders
    B&D Super Wildcat 9" grinder
    JD2 Model 3 Tubing Bender
    7"x12" horiz. bandsaw

Weldors, ........... Best arc makers since NOAH.

Re: New high amp model found a new home

Is this the one that weighs 1/4 ton?

I really, really have come to despise Harbor Freight - especially because of the thing it stands for - Made In Asia. But the one thing I can say is their 4.5" grinders that go on sale for $15 (I think they are 5.5 amp) are nice for a couple of reasons. One is they are dirt cheap so you can have 5 or 10 of them running around the shop with every wheel known to man mounted on a different grinder. Two is they are very light and have some decent ass behind them. Three is that they are a fairly bright orange and easy to locate. Four is that they are so cheap that I don't feel bad at all for abusing them - and they get some pretty serious abuse from time to time!

But they can not compare to this grinder for power or feel, I know. I will be buying better stuff when my list gets a bit shorter but for now my MIA crap will have to do....all six of them.

I like the brightness of it. It will be easy to spot - at least for a few weeks, huh?

Scott
    Last edited by MXtras; 04-19-2006 at 02:30 AM.
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Scott, ............ Yea, it does weight a little more than my B&D did, but it's a lot less than my other one. I just can't bring myself to hanging off the back end of my heavy 9" B&D Super Wildcat, for any long periods of time. I only use that when I have to.

You know, those grinder companies really fooled all of us. Think about it. First they came out with the big heavy 9" grinders and that's all we had to use for years. Then somebody got the bright idea to make a smaller grinder that could almost, now remember I said ALMOST, do the same thing as the 9" ones. Now here we are working our butts off, during the day, in a fab shop or out in the field, and you have to clean up some material, or a weld. You have 2 grinders laying there, 1 a 9" and the other a 4 1/2". You're hot and tired, which one are you more likely to pick up and use? Me,....... I'll go for the 4 1/2"'er everytime, unless it's something I know that will overwork it, quite a bit. Some guys use them for everything. These companies are making money off their grinders, but the REAL GOLD MINE money makers are the small grinders. Every brand of the small grinders should be the same color, GOLD, cause that's where the money is. Am I right?

I've tried a couple of HF grinders and they just didn't have the power this DeWalt has, and they only lasted a short period of time. My little B&W lasted almost 20 years, so I figured it paid for itself many times over, with all the abuse I put it through. I limit my grinders to 7.0 amps because I've found that anything below that, you are working the guts out of them and they won't have much of a life span. This is just my opinion, though.

As for the color, well it does show up quite easly, when mixed with all the other stuff laying around the fab table, during a project, even if it does get dirty.

Bill
    BILL

Miller 251 wirefeed
    Miller Dailarc 250 AC/DC
    Thremo Dynamics 1000XR Plasma
    Weldcraft TIG torch
    Victor O/A torch
    DeWalt 10 amp 4-1/2" grinders
    B&D Super Wildcat 9" grinder
    JD2 Model 3 Tubing Bender
    7"x12" horiz. bandsaw

Weldors, ........... Best arc makers since NOAH.

Quote Originally Posted by MXtras View Post
    Is this the one that weighs 1/4 ton?

I really, really have come to despise Harbor Freight - especially because of the thing it stands for - Made In Asia. But the one thing I can say is their 4.5" grinders that go on sale for $15 (I think they are 5.5 amp) are nice for a couple of reasons. One is they are dirt cheap so you can have 5 or 10 of them running around the shop with every wheel known to man mounted on a different grinder. Two is they are very light and have some decent ass behind them. Three is that they are a fairly bright orange and easy to locate. Four is that they are so cheap that I don't feel bad at all for abusing them - and they get some pretty serious abuse from time to time!

But they can not compare to this grinder for power or feel, I know. I will be buying better stuff when my list gets a bit shorter but for now my MIA crap will have to do....all six of them.

I like the brightness of it. It will be easy to spot - at least for a few weeks, huh?

Scott
    LOL You're kidding right

No. I think I was serious when that was penned. What's the confusion? Is it the fact that I contradicted myself within a single paragraph?

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by MXtras View Post
    No. I think I was serious when that was penned. What's the confusion? Is it the fact that I contradicted myself within a single paragraph?

Scott
    No, we've come to expect that...

I was in a Harbor Freight store for the first time today. I'm ashamed to say that I bought a few things.

Speaking of grinders that weigh a ton, the rebadged Metabo's (Rigid) one I have is a real tank.
    Last edited by Cebby; 12-07-2009 at 06:47 PM.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

When your working on a project you have all 6 of them laying around with different discs on.
    In all seriousness, I prefer the 10 amps power house then the 3 or 4 amps ones. But then again I do this for living. When I need to grind some steel it has to be quick.
    Last edited by Dan; 12-08-2009 at 01:17 AM.

I used the HF grinders for many years, because they are cheap and you can keep several. However when my newest one came apart in my hand it was time to rethink the decision. I now have 2 new Milwaukee 4.5" 7 amp grinders. They have a buy 2 get 1 free deal going till the end of the year.

Here is the HF grinder.

Bruce

A craftsman is someone who does a better job than anyone thinks is necessary.

www.4x4mecca.com
    http://www.tbucketeers.com/