Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Recommend me an angle grinder

5 lbs. A little too heavy for any one handed work that'll take longer than a few seconds. But overall, not bad at all and on par with the others in the same category.

So it's a tank like my Ridgid/Metabo. If you end up getting into much more fab work, a light one should make it into your toolbox also at some point (for 1 handed cutting). 3 pounders are perfect for this...
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

I've had my B&D 4-1/2" for quite a few years and it's still going, but it's time to make a change. My choice this time around is going to be the new Dewalt 10.5 amp grinder. Used one at a shop a few months ago and must say that it's got some heavy duty power. Most of the small grinders are running around 7 to 8 amps, but this 10.5 amp Dewalt is a LITTLE BRUTE. ........ Bill
    BILL

Miller 251 wirefeed
    Miller Dailarc 250 AC/DC
    Thremo Dynamics 1000XR Plasma
    Weldcraft TIG torch
    Victor O/A torch
    DeWalt 10 amp 4-1/2" grinders
    B&D Super Wildcat 9" grinder
    JD2 Model 3 Tubing Bender
    7"x12" horiz. bandsaw

Weldors, ........... Best arc makers since NOAH.

Okay, Time for me to weigh in on this.
    I Bought a case of five of them on ebay. No name, made in china, for twenty bucks. The switch isn't spring loaded, so it's on or it's off. They work okay, and if I burn one up, big deal. I respect the name brand tools, all my hand tools are craftsman, but from a Dollars and sense standpoint, I just can't justify spending 50 dollars or more, when I can get a pile of them for 20.
    Call Me with all your Trucking/ Transportation Needs!
    Jeff Watts
    Watts Family Trucking
    Toll Free 877-729-1233
    USDOT# 1609624
    MC# 595213

45' of open deck, 28,000# of cargo!

Building a www.tremormuv.com Check it out!!!!

I know that there are alot of different opinions about the small grinders out on the market and each one has their own merits, but what I look for MAINLY, in a grinder, is the amp ratings. Anything below 6 amps, and that's getting to the point of being LIGHT duty purposes only, I leave on the shelf, because it's not going to hold up long. Even with the name brands, the amp rating dictates the price range, lower amps, lower price. With the amount of abuse that we all put on those little grinders, it's a wonder that the better high amp ones hold up as long as they do. You've got to admit that you'd almost do anything to keep from picking up that BIG, HEAVY 9 in. grinder and hanging off the back end of it for awhile, wouldn't you? Been there and done that too often.

One of my friends purchased 2 grinders ($10.00 each) last year that didn't have a name or amp tag on them and found out real quick just how good they were. He said that you couldn't even put hardly any pressure on them, with one hand, before they would stop. He said, at best, they might have been rated around 3 or 4 amps, because they were useless. Using a file he could have done a faster job. He smoked the first one in about 1 hour and before the other one went, he got p****d and threw it away and went to the local pawn shop and got a well used Milwakee for $30.00 and has used it since. He told me he had learned a lesson and that he'd never have another cheap grinder again.

Most of my tools are Craftsman, Snap-on, Mac, Williams, Proto, B&D, Milwakee, DeWalt, Victor,and Miller, but I'm been seen in HF a few times looking and buying some things. I have always based what I pay for equipment on what I expect that equipment to do, how much abuse it might take, how often I'm going to use it and how long I want it to last. If I do see something that is cheaper and with a few modifications will work better, then I will buy it. Example: HF tubing notcher. I needed to make some handrails and am building a mini-sandrail and didn't want to put out $200.00 for for one of those high dollar notchers. I bought one for about $30.00 and after making one cut I made a couple of changes and fixed the problems found in their cheap notchers. Since then I've made a few roll cages and some more handrails for customers and it has worked okay. As work picks up I will be in the market for the higher dollar one, since I know that this one won't be able to handle lots of notching, all the time.

I'll admit that I don't like paying the high dollar price on some equipment needed for welding, but when it comes to grinding, the money put out for a good high amp grinder, is well worth the time, money and stress saved over buying a cheaper grinder.

Through experience, I've learned this lesson the hard way.
    BILL

Miller 251 wirefeed
    Miller Dailarc 250 AC/DC
    Thremo Dynamics 1000XR Plasma
    Weldcraft TIG torch
    Victor O/A torch
    DeWalt 10 amp 4-1/2" grinders
    B&D Super Wildcat 9" grinder
    JD2 Model 3 Tubing Bender
    7"x12" horiz. bandsaw

Weldors, ........... Best arc makers since NOAH.

I see your point. I've put 4 1/2 inch abrasive disks in my "chinabomber" and cut a truck apart with it, and I'm still on the first grinder. If this batch Pukes too quick, I'll go and buy a good one.
    Call Me with all your Trucking/ Transportation Needs!
    Jeff Watts
    Watts Family Trucking
    Toll Free 877-729-1233
    USDOT# 1609624
    MC# 595213

45' of open deck, 28,000# of cargo!

Building a www.tremormuv.com Check it out!!!!

i use the cheap harbor freight ones. i pick them up when they are 9 bucks and use the crap out of them. I have one with a cut off wheel, one with a grinding wheel, one with a flap disk, and another with a wire cup wheel. its nice to not have to change things when you need them. i have beat them for years and when they go bad its no biggy. my last one lasted at least 3 years of heavy use.

Shane

I have a 9 inch makita and a 10 amps Dewalt.
    What I like about my Dewalt is the safety locks easily unlocks for me to use the trigger. It is so quick for me to change from grinding to cutting wheels I dont see the need to have my work table cluttered with a bunch of grinders