Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend me an angle grinder

So I've seen the thread below saying which grinders you guys own, but there isn't much explanation of why you like your grinders. What features do you like best, specifically for a 4.5 inch grinder? Button types, handle positions, power, rebuildable etc.

Re: Recommend me an angle grinder

Milwaukee 'cause it works well straight out of the box.
    Makita because it works and has worked since 1982.

Steve - I've used Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita and Ridgid (Metabo).

Best kept secret is the Ridgid. Made by Metabo in Germany. Great power, comfortable grip, thumb switch (I don't care for paddles) Very nice grinder - my only complaint is that it is pretty heavy. This one is my heavy cut off job and flap bitch.

For cutting complex designs with a really thin wheel, my old $50 Makita gets the nod. It is very light and manueverable for one handed cutting in less than desirable body contortions. Thumb switch. I've made the circuit breaker kick out on it more than once, but it is a tough little unit.

Milwaukees are very nice also - a little heavier than my Makita and the one I used had a paddle switch. The Dewalt was very short use (a friends unit) - it seemed OK. I hear alot about them dying though.

The other one that gets good marks from folks is the Hitachi. I've nevver used one myself though. I was playing with one at Lowes last week. Seems like a nice model - not as heavy as the Ridgid.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Noob question...are grinding wheels standard? Will any wheel fit on any grinder?

There are 2 common arbor sizes. 5/8" and 7/8". Generally, all of the various styles of wheels are available in both sizes.

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Milwaukee is what I have. I have no complaints about it. Very sturdy grinder. The safty on the paddle did break and it is a little more difficult to switch the safty. I probaly have 150 grinding wheels used up on that grinder and it is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    There are 2 common arbor sizes. 5/8" and 7/8". Generally, all of the various styles of wheels are available in both sizes.
    Makita 4 1/2" grinders "used to" use a metric arbor. Kept you having to buy wire wheels from Makita. Works with regular flap wheels and disks though. Don't know if this still holds true for their small grinders...it is a 20+ year old grinder after all.

I like my 4 1/2" Makita just for the reason that no matter how hard I lean on it, I just can't kill it. It also fits my budget on power tools. I've had it about 11 years now.
    In a while, Chet.

Ended up getting a Milwaukee 4.5" grinder today 6148-6. 8.5 amps, 10k rpm.

I tried my friend's milwaukee and liked the way it felt. The paddle trigger is nice and the lock can be easily actuated while wearing gloves. I actually went down to the store to look at the ridgids because of the lifetime free service they provide for even typical wear items. But I didn't like the switch (it was on top) and it didn't have a top position for the handle.

I tried my other friends dewalt and didn't really like the paddle trigger it had. It took too much force and the trigger lock was hard to use with gloves on. I know earlier I said I don't care about the switch type, but I guess I do.

The only thing about the milwaukee is that it's expensive and doesn't come with a case like the dewalts.

Good choice Steve. How heavy is that one? The Milwaukees I've used in the past weren't too heavy, but that was quite a while ago.