Air Duct out of kitchen cabinet base

I don't know if this goes here or if at all... Going to put in new kitchen cabinets, I have to move a air duct and I'm thinking of having the vent outlet come out of the toe kick or base front of the new cabinets. They are light cherry I asked where we got the cabinets they said the heat and ac air coming up in front could dry out the doors or cause some discoloration. Any thoughts or would anyone know? Thanks

Re: Air Duct out of kitchen cabinet base

Funny you should mention this.

5 years ago our builder put a vent right under the kitchen sink at the tow kick. He actually pressurized the area below the cabinet. I questioned him on this as I'd never seen it. He said it was commonly done and was no problem.

5 years later (also with Cherry cabinets), no problems. So I guess he was right.

-Will

Depending upon your location....wouldn't do it here at all with all the coal dust and such locally...you may be able to get by with using the kick area for an air intake. It would certainly be my last choice, but at times you aren't given the luxury of choices. You will find that the air intake will "draw" dust and grime to the front of your cabinets. Not sure I would really worry about drying them out unless this is a non-intake vent. If this isn't an intake vent, I would do whatever possible to locate the vent elsewhere. If you have options, use them...if not, go with what you have available to you.

I have one under a cabinet. It's nothing nice (junk Lowes melamine RTA cab), but it works just fine.

If you wanted to take some kind of precaution, I'd say but a vent on it with an integral filter (although I think it is unnecessary).

I would avoid air intakes in the kitchen just as you should avoid them in the bathrooom. If you burn something or cook something nasty, your whole house will smell like it. Just like if you had an intake in the bathroom, you'd get the moisture and dumpage stench throughout the house.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Hi thanks for the comments ,maybe I didn't explain quite right. This is an air outlet or furnace duct it will be blowing air " out " to heat or cool the kitchen. Funny where I'm at we call the air intake or the vent that takes the air back to the furnace or a/c , cold air return.

When I said air intake, I meant cold air return. I forgot the proper vernacular.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

I can't see where having a register (or vent) there would hurt anything.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done