WRITEUP: Mxtras Bridgeport Custom Lube System and CNC Conversion

Scott has done it again! This time he shows us how he developed a custom lubrication system for his Bridgeport and also how he is converting it to CNC. His CNC conversion is a work in process, so check back often for additions to the writeup.

Mxtras Bridgeport Custom Lubrication System and CNC Conversion Writeup

Re: WRITEUP: Mxtras Bridgeport Custom Lube System and CNC Conversion

Thanks for compiling all of this, Cebby - I know it took a substantial amount of your time.

Thanks!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I read you were buying some more parts over on CNCzone. I figured I'd look every couple of weeks to add to the writeup...

Glad I could help - thanks for sharing your experiences with us!!
    Last edited by Cebby; 01-18-2006 at 11:28 PM.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

I am looking to make the BP pretty accurate for the CNC conversion. Backlash is a nightmare when manually machining - especially without a DRO, but for CNC it can become a real expensive problem, so it is my attempt to get a nearly zero backlash machine without spending an absolute ton of $$.

I have been researching ballcrews and bearings That research led me to conduct a rigidity and deflection test on the table drive set-up on the mill. I completed that test this evening and will be posting the results after I wade through and analyze the 8 pages of dimensional data recorded during the test. The test took over 4 hours and I recorded about 60 data points with zero return tests at each step using multiple 2 micron test indicators and a 10 micron test indicator. Very accurate, enlightening information.

For all of those with a Bridgeport mill, this is very interesting information and will really suprise many folks interested in achieving high accuracy (0.0005" or less) with a standard Bridgeport milling machine. More info on the conclusions of that test later this week.

I will likely post a very technical article on cnczone with numerous photos of the set-up and the test conditions and a more generalized conclusion here on toolandfab.

Scott
    Last edited by MXtras; 01-18-2006 at 11:38 PM.

Well - I have been severely delinquent in posting follow ups. There has been substantial progress on this but I have not been able to find the time to post follow ups.

I am nearly done with X and Y - I still need to nail down Z and need to mount limit and home switches on the machine. I have been working on the control panel and wiring for the last three weeks and it all came together this week. I played with it (the mill) last night and was running a few test programs to simulate cutting circles, ovals and other arbitrary shapes. The speed is pretty impressive. I can command the machine to run full stroke on both axii and back and it will repeat within 0.005mm (.0002") on a travel indicator between the table and the spindle nose! I don't know if this is real or not - I still have too many things to look into - like the gib adjustments and backlash during direction changes.

I am still messing around with dialing things in - both mechanically and electrically. I still need to adjust the gibs a little and I think I need to re-evaluate the alignment of the recently installed ball screws. I am getting to the point where I need more technical support from my control guru to get the acceleration up without losing accuracy. Right now I am moving at just under 100 inches per minute in rapid - which is more than enough for me but that is with a relatively conservative acceleration.

More posts and follow ups will be posted soon.

Scott

I'm definitely due to add to and revise the writeup for you. Guess I need to mosey on over to CNCzone eh?
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

I haven't posted much over there, either. I wouldn't rush over there yet.

Scott

Still no follow ups posted here or anywhere.

The mill is coming along nicely. It was all together and working until last week - I tore it apart to finalize the wiring.

I struggled with the control panel layout - couldn't decide what configuration to use but I chose a direction and went with it. It started out pretty well with ample room but you know what happened. It's starting to really irritate me that I had not made it into a cabinet style - I chose a console style instead and it is a little crowded inside. The cabinet style would have been a lot better, but would have taken up more room of course.

Anyway - here's a pic of the operator's panel from a little over a month ago - I just ran across it (I am at work, bored) and since I am here I may as well post it to revive this dead thread. You will notice a crease on the right side of the panel - next to the screen. I screwed up on setting the tool length when I cut the back of the panel and it ended up cutting through when it when it shouldn't have, but I had already engraved the face and had a few hours into the panel so when I screwed it up I decided to just made it work rather than starting over. I was a bit irritated at the time but it came out fine. I bought the flat panel at a local wholesale club for $150 - a cheapy but it's fine for a machine. ACAD looks pretty good on it, too. Still no internet at the shop...

I promise to post up a BUNCH of photos in this thread - not to mention I want to re-write the write up and make it a little less annoying..... I still need to post the backlash results, too...

More in a few weeks....or so.

Scott

Looks really good.