Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Grinders - What do you have? Like it? Hate it? Why?

I have two grinders currently. Both 4 1/2" models.

The first is an old Makita that I've had for probably 12+ years. This thing is nice and light so it makes one handed cutting with a thin wheel rather easy. Aside from the rare occasion of the overload kicking out, this has been the perfect grinder.

The good: 3.1 lbs
    The bad: Not a ton of power

The second is a new (< a year) Ridgid. The main reason I chose this grinder is because it is made by Metabo. Metabo is known for their grinders (and deservedly so). It is a really nice piece - almost overbuilt. It has a few nice features like a spindle lock and a lighted plug with a integral cord wrap.

The good: Lots of power, extra features
    The bad: Too heavy for extended periods of 1 handed use. (4.9 lbs)

Here they are side by side:
    Last edited by Cebby; 12-20-2005 at 02:46 AM.

Re: Grinders - What do you have? Like it? Hate it? Why?

I have 2 Crapsman and 3 Harbor Freights. All 4-1/2".

I set them up as follows:
    (1) Cupped Twisted Wire wheel
    (1) Flap wheel 40g
    (1) Flap wheel 100g
    (1) Grinder
    (1) cut off

I've had the craftsmans for years. 2 new H-Fs and 1 old H-F
    I don't really bare down hard on thm, and they work great. The H-Fs I buy ONLY on sale, when they are $9.99. I have a Dewalt at work, and really don't see a difference.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

I have a 4.5 unknown brand. It's too small and hard to use.
    Also a old 5" which I accidently cut the end off, and tried to rewire it. Doesn't shut off anymore.
    The last one is a 7" makita. it's heavy

Two older model, cast metal heads, 7" Milwaukee grinders. Strong and built to last. Fitted out with different disks. One DeWalt 7" anemic...shouldn't have let the counterhelp talk me into it!
    One 4 1/2" Milwaukee. Lighter by a mile! Still strong, but not in the same league as the 7" models.
    One 20+ year old Makita 4 1/2" that refuses to die...and it has been through more than I would ever like to own up to.
    One Milwaukee straight grinder fited out as a larger model die grinder.

Here's a shot of my grinder stand. I installed air and a filter/reg, but hardly ever use that feature. Also own a Dynafile...great tool...limited usefullness.

Now THAT is a grinder stand! Is there any other 7" I should consider besides the Milwaukee?

I swear by the Milwaukee, but I can't even recommend them as I haven't tried the new models. Bought both of the 7"ers off eBay for $40-$50 plus shipping. The DeWalt may come in a high amp model...unsure...,but as is it isn't in the same league as the Milwaukees...I can't stall the Milw., but I can the DeWalt. Heard good things about the Metebos, but never tried them. Also heard that Metebo will not warrantee the Ridgid grinders sold at Home Depot that they manufactured for Ridgid.

I don't know if air power counts in this thread or not. I have several electric grinders I use for cutting. But the grinder I grab most often is this 115 degree angle grinder I got from the snap-on guy. The angle really does work beter than 90 degrees. I love the thing a lot.

I usually do not hype up the crap from Harbor freight, but their 4.5" grinders go on sale for $15 from time to time and they are worth every penny. They are lighter and more powerful than the Makitas and for the money, I can beat them pretty good and not feel bad.

I do need to buy a few good ones, but for now - HF grinders are working well. I have several of them:
    Flapper disc
    Cut-off wheel
    Grinding wheel
    Cupped wire wheel
    2 spares
    1 dead one for parts - stripped the gears wire wheeling paint off a cinder block wall.

The one I use the most is about 18 months old and on it's second set of brushed, but it's still going. The switch is shot - turning it off can be difficult.

Sorry - no pics. They aren't exactly a thing of pride......

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Scott, after seeing pictures of your shop, it's hard to imagine you allowing anything from Harbor Freight enter it. So, after you buy something from them, how long does it tak you to strip it, paint it blue and build it a special rack to hold it out of 3x3 square tube and stainless?

If the blue paint would just stick to those damn grinders........

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done