Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Grinders - What do you have? Like it? Hate it? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj
    So, after you buy something from them, how long does it tak you to strip it, paint it blue and build it a special rack to hold it out of 3x3 square tube and stainless?

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2xs
    I have 2 Crapsman and 3 Harbor Freights. All 4-1/2".

I set them up as follows:
    (1) Cupped Twisted Wire wheel
    (1) Flap wheel 40g
    (1) Flap wheel 100g
    (1) Grinder
    (1) cut off

I've had the craftsmans for years. 2 new H-Fs and 1 old H-F
    I don't really bare down hard on thm, and they work great. The H-Fs I buy ONLY on sale, when they are $9.99. I have a Dewalt at work, and really don't see a difference.
    when yall are talking about the HF grinders, is there a specific grinder you're referring to? i found this one on HF's website, but its regular price is only $12. could yall give me a link of 'the' HF grinder yall use? thanks

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43471

This is the most recent one I picked up. I think it is substantially more powerful that the one you linked - don't know for sure, though. Look at the amperage.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by MXtras
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43471

This is the most recent one I picked up. I think it is substantially more powerful that the one you linked - don't know for sure, though. Look at the amperage.

Scott
    cool, thanks! i might have to pick one up this week

my grinder collection consists of

1 Milwalkee 4 1/2" angle grinder... This bad boy is TITS can put all the force i want behind it and it doesnt slow down one bit...

2 Bosh 4 1/2" angle grinder... This grinder is over 4 years old and is starting to show its years, still works great for dressing up with a flap wheel...

3 10" HF Bench grinder...This was my favorite grinder, but have worn out the wheels and cant find replacements...

I got the biggest baddest 5" dewalt grinder I could have gotten.. Then have run flap disks in it every since. I hate hard disks. But then one day my buddy decided to put a hard disk in it and didn't put the guard back on with out telling me. So I picked it up and hit the switch and got a nice 1/4" wide, 3/16" deep by 5/8" long and then 3/8" further down another 1/4" wide, 3/16" deep by 1/2" long chunk of skin removed from my right middle finger. Lets just say we had words and he owes me so many favors its not even funny because of it. I am so lucky I didn't take the whole thing off. Cause I would have killed him along with the GF

I also have a 9" dewalt angle grinder. Which I am scared to use. After it damn near cut me in two when I caught the inside corner of a frame I was building and it spun on me. It has sat on the bench ever since.

We abuse tools. Buddy of mine works for dewalt and he told me angle grinders are the most abused tool they make. The acutaully shoot metal filings right into the motor when they are running when testing them. Along with a bunch of stuff.
    Own landscape business with employees that can break anything
    Certified stick welder
    Volley Firefighter

Miller
    Dewalt
    kubota
    Craftsman hand tools
    Ford trucks
    Thats all you need to know.

I recently picked up three of these:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3150

I got them at $8 each (9.99 - 20% coupons), so it's hard to beat the value... My father and I have used this model and model 43471 (frequently $15 sale priced), and they lasted for for years with lots of use/abuse...

They are only 3.3 peak amps, but that's typically all the power I ever need for my projects.

I'll probably stick with just that model if I need more.. the first time one breaks, I'll buy another plus the $5 year warranty, then take the broken one back for replacement...
    Hey, it got the job done :D

Enough people speak well of the HF grinders - I've gotta get one and see for myself...
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

I have 4 different grinders, that I use in my shop. Up until just a few months ago I had a 4-1/2" B&D that served me well for many years, but it finally had enough abuse and died. I'll admit that the little one did some of the work that I should have used the big 9" on, but I just don't like hanging off the backend of those 9" grinders as much as I used to. I'm sure that most of us feel the same way.

My new grinders consist of:
    2 4-1/2" DeWalt 10 amp.
    1 4-1/2" Makita

The DeWalts are a real powerhouses and I've found no problems with them. The reason that I have 2 of them is that they were on sale, at the time, so I just bought 2. They have 3 more amps than the old B&D grinder, that I had, and it does make a difference.

The makita I got was also on sale and is only used with a wire brush. The reason is that it's amp rating is alot lower than the DeWalts. The thing I don't like about the makita is the on-off switch. You have to turn it off instead of just releasing the switch. This could become a safety problem in case of an emergancy.

My old 9" B&D is the real workhorse, but I don't use it as much as I should. When they named it the "Super Wildcat" they gave it the perfect name, because if it ever get away from you, you'll find out WHY. Not that it happened to me, but a friend of mine, had his kick back on him, and he's got the scar on his leg to prove that it can be a REAL wildcat, when it wants to be.

I see Milwalkee has a new small 4-1/2" grinder that is rated at 12 amps. It's a little bigger than the DeWalts, but I'll have to check it out and maybe add it to my collection.

When buying grinders, I pretty much just look at the amp rating and the type of on-off switches they have. If the amps are below 5, I don't even think of buying them, because from past experience, in industreial shops, they don't last long.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the grinders I have.

BILL

Miller 251 wirefeed
    Miller Dailarc 250 AC/DC
    Thremo Dynamics 1000XR Plasma
    Weldcraft TIG torch
    Victor O/A torch
    DeWalt 10 amp 4-1/2" grinders
    B&D Super Wildcat 9" grinder
    JD2 Model 3 Tubing Bender
    7"x12" horiz. bandsaw

Weldors, ........... Best arc makers since NOAH.

Currently I have 1 Makita 4 1/2 works great, 2 HF 4 1/2 with wire wheels haven't used them much since I am deployed to Kuwait now. Lastly 1 old black and decker 7 inch from my dad. Ancient but it works like gangbusters.