Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Routers

Routers

Where can I find more information about them? What they are used for, the different types, different designs they can do, brands, how to use them properly, what to look for when buying one...etc
    Just basic information about them.
    I want to slowly get into wood working and I'd just thought I'd expand my knowledge.

Also, if anyone has any pictures of their router, or the work they did with it, that would be good.

Steve

Re: Routers

The router is really a versatile piece of equipment. Let me see if I can find a "Routers 101" link somewhere.

I have 3 routers currently and they all get used. (A 3hp PC Plunge, a 1 1/2hp PC kit that has a plunge and fixed base, and a little old Ryobi laminate trimmer)

I use them for primarily 2 uses and an occasional 3rd use.

#1 - putting an edge on something (includes simply rounding over a sharp edge also)
    #2 - creating a perfect cutout in something (plunging and usually done with a jig)
    #3 - the occasional dado (slot)

I don't know if I have any pics of the work I've done - I'll have to do some digging. As far as pics of my routers, I'll try to shoot some tonight.

Here's some pics of a headboard I did with my router (and other shop tools). It was roughly modelled after one we saw at Pottery Barn. Made with good pine and sprayed white. I did the moldings with an Ogee bit, the mortises with a straight cut bit and and the chamfers with a 45 deg angle bit. This was about 3 1/2 years ago...

Last edited by Cebby; 12-18-2005 at 12:50 AM.

Last edited by Cebby; 12-18-2005 at 12:54 AM.

Here's the stable of routers...

The horse (production plunge router - 3.25hp variable speed with soft start)

The 1.5hp kit with 2 bases...

The laminate trimmer (and round over trimmer)

And I forgot about this one - usually just a roto-zip drywall tool, but it has been pressed in to service with straight cut router bits and grinding bits like the one shown in it...

So Porter-Cable is one of the better brands?

Thanks

In my opinion Porter Cable and Bosch are both good. I'm sure others may have their opinions on the matter...

Cebby, here is a mystery. I found a box of router bits, but we don't have a router. Is there anything else that I would put them in? My dad bought them.

Another question.
    Is it the plunge router that "professional" cabinet makers use to make those inscribed designs on cupboards and cabinets?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR
    Cebby, here is a mystery. I found a box of router bits, but we don't have a router. Is there anything else that I would put them in? My dad bought them.
    Off the top of my head, I can't think any reason to have router bits without a router. Are they all brand new, or did some appear to be used?