Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home powder coating

I picked up a powder coating kit from Eastwood along with about 10 different colors of coatings. I tried it out on a few things, Corvette aluminum valve covers painted Chevvy orange, cleared a Edelbrock intake manifold, plus numerous small test pieces. I'm using a cardboard box from a new stove as my spray cabinet, keeps the powder from drifting over the shop floor and benches. I bought an old stove for $25 and use it to heat up the parts after coating them. I found the more mass (intake manifold) the better the flow out and covering of the part. I got a silicon plug set to plug up the bolt holes. Found out that you have to put foil over the plugs that are too close to the bottom elements. I've tried pre-heating some parts to 'burn off' some of the contaminites that are in the surface of the metal, before I apply the powder coating. This worked great on the sand casting of the intake manifold. I did some gloss black mounting brackets and they just came out like glass. A lot of prep work but the end result is well worth the extra time.

Is anyone else doing home powder coating?

Re: Home powder coating

No - not yet, but it's on my list of things to play with, for sure!

Keep posting any tips and things you learn, if you would. Good info to have.

Thanks for posting this, alittle1! Keep all of us up to date, would ya? Thanks.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I also plan to get into this. I'm shooting for the same arrangement. I have a blast cabinet sitting idle until I step up to a new compressor, so the prep should be pretty easy and effective.

Did you shoot any pics? The more details the better for us wanting to know all about it.

i do small part powder coating. you should always pre heat the iteam to "burn off" anything other wise you will have propblems with something it will blister the powder coat like a solvent pop in paint. Heres a tip you can also hot coat. which is where you heat the part up to 400 pull it out and shot the powder on it which will help it flow out which will help on larger parts like a wheel you may do with a small hobby gun. they dont have a e-nuff elec. to make the powder stick on some items.

Also the IR set up like a house oven or there heat lamps does not cure the powder all the way a year donw the road it may start to pell. I know i hade the eastwood gun when i first got started to try it out. Also you get better pricing from real powder coat suppliers. i pay $40 for 5lbs or most colors.the powder i like to use tiger drylac they have alot TONS of colors anybody have any questions let me know we do our own blasting also

I think we need some pics in this thread!

For theguys that are doing this at home or in smaller shops - keep the info coming!

Thanks!

.....and post some pics, darn it!!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

my oven

a few trophys i coated for a company

some wheels

full engine bay

last a mac dog

Now that's nice work! I like the dog.

Are there any good books or websites that explain the powder coat system and whats needed?
    Glad I found this group.

i havent found such. Its a easy process and you learn as you go